We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southern california
reviews: 3
Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

Hello, can anyone tell me about this restaurant? Is it a group of restaurants? Is the food good? Inexpensive? Where is it located?

We are looking for the very freshes shellfish in Ensenada. Any recommendations?

Thank you so much!

Janie

6 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
reviews: 66
1. Re: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

I am not familiar with this restaurant, although finding fresh shellfish in Ensenada should be easy considering it is a fishing port. I wish I had more information for you (normally dine on tacos or at El Rey Sol when we are in town), but I look forward to following your thread because now, I too, am curious.

Have a great time in Ensenada!

southern california
2. Re: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the website for El Rey Sol but it didn't show prices. Is it expensive? Where is the best place to get fish tacos? It looks like most of the street carts use shark. I'm not familiar with shark so I don't know about that..........

Any advice you can give is appreciated, thanks so much!

Janie

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

El Rey Sol will run about $12-$20 per plate for lunch, so it's not cheap, but for fine dining, away from the crowds, it's a great value. Their fresh, table side ceasar is delicious and made to order (alot of garlic please). The last time we were there (my Mom, my husband and I) we ordered the ceasar(for 3), the cheese plate, my Mom and I each got the soup and my husband will order an entree. They serve terrific bread and decadent french butter to start and the chef has been known to send out a complimentary variety-appetizer. We always leave stuffed. During our last few visits, an old man in a suit with a guitar hs come thru - he is soft spoken and very polite. I'm normally not a fan of tableside music, but he can sing about any American and Mexican tune you can think of - and beautifully, not intrusive at all and ads so much to the experience.

Our favorite fish/beef/chicken/pork tacos (and this is saying alot because there are several terrific taco places to choose from in Ensenada) is Taqueria Mexico Lindo - next door to Hussong's. Martene, the owner is very hospitable. You can sit at the bar and watch your tacos being made or sit at one of the tables in the back (a little quieter). Tacos run about $1.50-$2.00 each (they are not too big) and beers run around $2-$3 each depending on the brand we order (they also have sodas and water - all of which are very cold!).

From your picture, it appears that you might be arriving via cruiseship, have a beautiful time!

southern california
4. Re: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

Thanks so much for your speedy reply! Yes, we are coming in on the Golden Princess and can't wait! We've been to Ensenada several times over the years. We used to to the whole Papa's and Beers/Hussongs but we kinda figure "been there, done that".

We were planning on having lunch at Mariscos Bahía de Ensenada for their lobster and shrimp but I'm always looking :).

Another question about shopping......I'd like to buy several of the Mexican style blouses while there. Not the cheap, thin pillow case fabric but the colorful, embroidered short sleeved blouses. Do you have any idea where to look for these types of blouses?

Thanks so much, lobster, shrimp and shopping, it's gonna be a great day!

Janie

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

The Golden Princess sounds lovely and you have a wonderful day planned in Ensenada.

Normally when the ships are in port, the prices tend to inflate in the 'busy' zone. My suggestion is to go up the main street - the same one that parallels the port (towards El Rey Sol) and do your shopping AWAY from the Papas crowd...It seems the further away you get, the better the prices and quality tend to be.

If you enjoy wine, LA Cetto (the largest Mexican wine producer) has a tasting room just north of town ($5 cab ride / 5 minute ea way). We stopped in a couple weeks ago as they were closing - very modern and nice. Next time we will go earlier.

We visit Ensenada 3-4 times a year because we've fallen head over heals in love with Villa de Guadalupe (wine region just 40 mins East of town). The wine is brilliant, the views are spectacular, the mexican hospitality is beautiful and not an ounce of pretention like many of CA wineries. If we arrived via cruise, I would hire a cab for the day at 9am (right outside Hussong's) $80+-, lunch at Hacienda Guadalupe in the valley (exquisite menu, mostly organic, the best civeche EVER!!) visit 3-4 wineries and back to the ship at 3pm.

Enjoy your day there!

southern california
6. Re: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada

Thank you so much for all your info! I can't wait for our cruise!

Have a great day!

Janie

Reply to: Mariscos El Puerto Ensenada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted