We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bay area, ca
reviews: 1
Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

Hello, this weekend will be our first time in Ensenada and we wanted to spend a day in wine country. What wineries would you recommend, and please advise if an appointment is necessary. Thanks!

bay area, ca
1. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

oh, I also seen these recommendations from moon.com, any opinion on these?

Baja’s most acclaimed winery, Monte Xanic (tel. 646/174-7055, www.montexanic.com, 9 A.M.–4 P.M. Mon.–Fri., 8 A.M.–noon Sat.), produces 50,000 cases of wine per year, and many of its labels have won awards in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The winery charges US$4 for tasting whites and an additional US$4 for reds. Reservations are required.

The largest winery in the region—and in all of Latin America—Italian-owned L. A. Cetto (Km. 73.5, tel. 646/155-2179, www.cettowines.com or www.lacetto.com, 10 A.M.–3 P.M. daily) has gardens and a picnic area as well as an inviting tasting room. You can tour the winery without reservations, and there are no tasting or tour fees.

Past L. A. Cetto, La Casa de Doña Lupe (Rancho La Gotita, Francisco Zarco, tel. 646/155-2323, www.donalupe.com, 9 A.M.–7 P.M. daily) tempts visitors with home-baked goods as well as farm-fresh cheese, honey, and produce and organically grown wines.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
reviews: 67
2. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

You are in for a treat! Guadalupe Valley is magnificent! We go as often as we can, just recently two weeks ago. It’s harvest time.

The wine and the gastronomy gets more amazing EVERY time we visit!

You are very wise to research wineries before you go because there are SO many and really, you can only see 3-4, 5 if you are on a mission, in one day.

Our trip itinerary from January: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150770-d153…

Here is a map of the valley: sanantoniodelmarbaja.com/home_page_00000c.htm

Steven Dryden is the local American Wine expert and there is a ton of information from him on the internet, just do a search with his name:

localwineevents.com/Wine-Articles/267-1.html

Even though we’ve been to LA Cetto a number of times, we like to start there, because it is at the furthest end of the valley, then we can work out way back to Ensenada. This is the largest winery and has BIG tour groups that come through during the day, so if you can, go early. LA Cetto has a lovely picnic area, so we often bring a small picnic and enjoy a bottle of their wine.

Next we might go to Monte Xanic, Tres Mujeres (three woman) - next door is Sol y Barra (looks like a hobbit village, this is NEW and I am dyeing to go here!), Vinisterra (fantastic artwork!) and Tres Valles. But this is only to name a few.

In our opinion, the best wine we’ve tried in Ensenada has been from Roganto winery, which is on the other side of Ensenada (1hour+ drive from Guadalupe Valley) and is not open to the public, although you can purchase this wine at Sano’s restaurant and local liquor stores.

Restaurants:

We love Hacienda Guadalupe, it has an amazing menu and the view is incredible! We try and stop here for appetizers and a glass of wine at the end of the day. The civeche is the best we’ve ever had...I'd drive 4 hours JUST to have their civeche!

Corre Caminos Restaurant – in Francisco Zarco has mile high apple pie! Still have not gone here, but it has been on my list the last 3 times we’ve been there.

Mustafa’s – Mediterranean

Laja -has been compared to the French Laundry in Napa. Never been here, but prices are much more reasonable than the French Laundry, around $60 pp for dinner. Reservations are required.

It’s always a good idea to email (google their websites) the wineries ahead of time, but on a Friday – Sunday most of them open between 11am-4pm.

The only bad news...you are legally only allowed to bring back 1 bottle pp back to the states (unless you are with a group tour). The good news, you have to drink all but one bottle purchased, before coming home.

Have an excellent time!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
3. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

What a thorough guide. Wonder if it could be made into a sticky? You've done a really nice job and answered lots of people's questions before they even know what to ask. :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

Pstreet YOU are always the one to point US in the right direction in Baja. Forgot to mention to you, we LOVEDn La Fuente again and La Cava de Marcelo aka The cheese cave was brilliant. I've began to write my review, but TA has it listed in another country, so I'm trying to get that corrected before I post. The tour was a blast, the cheese/wine tasting in the cave was wonderful and the food was INCREDIBLE! I could have sat there on that picnic bench, under the tree, atop the velvety green grass all evening. Although, the drive up that windy two lane mountain road, with the semi trucks, was white knuckle the whole way there and back. We brought home some excellent cheese and have been enjoying it with friends that were not fortunate enough to come with us :) Thank you for, once again, guiding us to the best of the best of Baja!

bay area, ca
5. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

Thanks DJ1234 for your help! You have also been very helpful and accommodating with the Fast Pass info as well!

Just to give some more context, we are staying at Endemico saturday night... dont know where that is in relation to some of the winery recommendations, but if you have any more suggestions, I'd love to hear it!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
6. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

Just wanted to point out that the Fast Pass program is under re-evaluation. There are no more being issued. When restaurants/hotels run out of what they had at the time they stopped printing them, that's it. I think almost everyone is out by now, so don't count on getting one.

There are real programs with the program; we'll see if they can resolve them.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

fmoe1,

Wow! We saw them building Endemico but have not yet had the opportunity to stay there. It looks beautiful! Please report back and let us know about your stay.

Staying right in the valley will give you the opportunity to really saturate yourself with the wine and the food.

We used our Fast Passes from Hotel Coral & Marina a couple weeks ago on the Sunday afternoon following the Rosarito/Ensenada bike ride. We've used this program about 5 times in the past, receiving our passes from the hotel we stay at, which gets us through the border in 15-30 minutes, but this trip it took us 1 hour and 15 minutes, which is better than 2-3 hours in the regular lines. We have heard rumors that the program is being abused by non-tourists, which is a shame. Baja has suffered terribly, from bad media, the Fast Pass was a great way to start enticing folks back. I hope they get the problems with this program resolved, because that 2-3 hour wait at the border is a huge deterrant for us and we LOVE BAJA!

Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 5
8. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

Hi fmoe1,

Don't miss Santo Tomas ,the oldest winery of Baja California, they give tours in wagons and show you different types of grapes and wines they have and you can even "make/blend" your own wine.

9. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

We went to the new winery ,the hobbit one.It is made of Cobb....loved it.Wish we could seen the house up close.

He has a website.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Guadalupe Valley winery recommendations for this weekend

Linda R, cannot wait to see Sol y Barra / hobbit village, we are going to plan a trip for January 2013, cannot wait!