We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

hartlepool, united...
reviews: 91
Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Hi, I'm staying in a cabin (3 adults) overlooking Shuswap Lake first week of July. We're doing 3 days in Whislter first then after we leave the cabin we're headed to Vancouver for 4 nights. We'll be located about 10km outside of Salmon Arm at a place called Tappen. I know nobody can predict the weather but I take it that it's likely to be warm at that time? But cools down significantly on a night? Fingers crossed for no rain.

We're mainly looking to chill out while we're there (fishing, cooking on the fire, drinking...) What's Salmon Arm like for light shopping/bars/restaurants in case we fancy a day/night out? Additionally, is there anything we must see/do while we're in that area?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 20
1. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

https:/…Salmon-Arm-British-Columbia-Canada

I've spent a few summers in the Shuswap and it can get pretty hot, although that usually happens in August. If you hit a heat wave, it can be 30 degrees Celsius + (and it doesn't cool down much at night!). If you hit a cold, rainy patch (the last couple of years were like this), it could be 15 degrees. The average temperature in early July should be in the mid 20s. All I can advise is to keep your eye on the weather forecast and pack for warm weather, but bring a sweater/coat or two, just in case. Layers are never a bad idea!

If you're in Tappen, then Herald Provincial Park is not far out of your way, and it's worth a look: env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/herald/ Margaret Falls are impressive (and a cool spot on a hot day) and the beach across the road is nice. I would also recommend driving 20 minutes to Sicamous and getting a monster ice cream cone at D Dutchman Dairy - they make their own ice cream and it's the best in the province! There's a nice sandy public beach there too, where Mara Lake meets the Shuswap.

In terms of shopping & restaurants, "light" is probably a good description. Salmon Arm isn't a thriving metropolis, but there's enough shopping to keep you occupied for a couple of hours, and more than enough restaurants to choose from. (Sorry I can't make any specific suggestions. I always stay with family when I'm in the area, and we just stay at home and have barbecue and fresh produce from the roadside stands!)

I think the RJ Haney Heritage Museum does dinner theatre in the summers, so that could be worth looking into, if that's your sort of thing. Also, just north of Enderby (about 20 minutes away) is a drive-in movie theatre http://www.starlightdrivein.ca/ that shows double features during the summer. You may want to spare a night for it - drive-in movies are an endangered species these days!

I'm sure other locals here will give you some good suggestions. Good luck with your trip - I hope you enjoy it!

Blind Bay, BC
reviews: 5
2. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Depending on the day/s of the week you are here there are usually couple of Farmer's Markets to check out.

Downtown area has some unique shops that might interest you. Otherwise it's grocery stores, Canadian Tire and dollar stores.

Here's a link to our local Tourism site :

http://shuswaptourism.ca/plan/must-dos

Here's TA review on our local Thai place :

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1576717-d…

hartlepool, united...
3. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Thanks so much that's really helpful (Suiteasitgets - I know you've helped me out before so thanks again!) Weather in the low 20's sounds great to me but hey ho, even if we get constant rain I can't grumble and say I'm not used to it....the good ole English summertime has yet to rear it's head :)

Ice-cream, BBQ's, Farmers Markets and fresh produce from roadside stands sounds right up my street - exactly what I'm looking for :) Heritage Museums are possibly not my thing but the drive-in movie theatre sounds fun! Didn't even know they existed any more?!

It sounds fantastic,my first time to B.C. and to say I'm excited is an understatement...! Thanks again :)

Blind Bay, BC
4. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Oh yea and a couple of wineries & Ales :

http://www.crannogales.com/site/tours.php

http://www.shuswapwineries.ca/

hartlepool, united...
5. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Thanks very much :) We are there from a Tuesday to a Monday - does anyone know what days the farmers markets are on? And what kind of fresh produce is usually available from the roadside stands? Is there a liquor store in Salmon Arm?

Oh, and at the expense of sounding like an ignorant Brit, is this bear country? Our cabin is fairly remote and is in its own 8 acres of grounds.

Lots of questions I know but Im really grateful for all your help so far.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 20
6. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

I think most of BC is bear country! Yes, bears and cougars are occasionally spotted in the area. The biggest thing is to not leave food or garbage outside for long periods of time - don't give them an excuse to visit! If you have a small dog with you, keep it on a leash. If you go walking in the woods, make enough noise so as not to frighten any unsuspecting wildlife. Don't let the animals scare you from going out and about - just be "bear aware". …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…bearsaf.html

Liquor stores near Salmon Arm: http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=liquor+store,+salmon+arm&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=liquor+store,&hnear=0x537ef54d4f2026a5:0x400a2d627d7e3cc9,Salmon+Arm,+BC&view=text&sa=X&ei=m_igUbKyNOqpiQKy74D4Bg&ved=0CC4QtQM Commerical liquor stores usually stick to beer, wine & wine coolers. Government liquor stores have the most selection.

What kind of produce is available depends on the time of year and what the weather's been like. First week of July you'll likely see strawberries, raspberries, and possibly blackberries & blueberries if the weather has been warm. July is the very start of cherry season, which I hope you'll find, because Okanagan cherries are one of my favourite things in the world! You'll probably be too early for apricots, peaches & nectarines, though, which is a pity (but you never know . . . .). As for vegetables, you should find more than enough ingredients for a salad, plus peas & beans. It'll probably be too early for corn.

I think the Salmon Arm Farmer's Market is on Wednesdays at the Lutheran Church. Nearby markets are in Sorrento: shuswaptourism.ca/do/food-wine-and-farms/far… and Malakwa: shuswaptourism.ca/do/food-wine-and-farms/far… (I haven't been to either, so I can't say how large or good they are.)

Speaking of Malakwa, if you want a unique dining experience, you could try eating in an old sawmill burner: http://www.theburner.ca/ (TA reviews: tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g2642374-d2… ) I've always wanted to try it, but never got around to it. Anyway, just an idea.

You will not be at a loss for fresh food in Salmon Arm/Shuswap. If the weather is good and you like your accommodation, I recommend just hanging out, enjoying the lake, and eating a lot!

Blind Bay, BC
7. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Sorrento Farmer's Market is on Saturdays-

…bcfarmersmarket.org/market/sorrento-village…

Blind Bay's is on Thursdays

http://blindbayfarmersmarket.webs.com/

Salmon Arm's Organic market is every 2nd Wednesday

shuswaptourism.ca/happening/events/salmon-ar…

Other Salmon Arm Farm & Craft market is on Tuesdays & Fridays

…bcfarmersmarket.org/market/shuswap-farm-and…

hartlepool, united...
8. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

Brilliant! Thanks ever so much for all your help, not taking a dog (decided to leave my cats at home ;)) and I'll make sure we're "bear aware"...! We're big foodies so Im really looking forward to trying all the local fresh produce this area has to offer. "Just hanging out, eating a lot and enjoying the lake" sounds like a plan! Thank you :)

9. Re: Salmon Arm - things to do and weather in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, June 10, 2014