We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying a mile or two up the road...

Which Ao Nang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 29
Staying a mile or two up the road...

Hello,

I'm coming to Ao Nang in April for five nights and have booked in at Scandinavian Residence. Has lots of good reviews on here, and is a very good price. However, after looking at maps and that, I'm a bit concerned that it's just a little too far away from he action. It's right up the top of Ao Nang town, then about half a kilometre on the right. I'm no in two minds as to whether I should look to change resorts.

The place I'm staying looks really nice, but a lot of the comments are about a place to get away from it all, and relax. I'd have just had a week on Long Beach Phi Phi relaxing so don't want anything TOO quiet.

I guess what I'm asking is, how's Ao Nang to get around? Are the local transport guys reliable, or are they Phuket-style rip-off merchants? If it's a 50baht hop up the road in a tuk-tuk to get home late at night, then that'll be fine, but if we're going to get hassle off tuk-tuk drivers trying to rip us off then we might opt to stay closer to town.

Thanks for any help!

Ao Nang, Thailand
reviews: 1
1. Re: Staying a mile or two up the road...

I know many tuk-tuk drivers personally and even have their phone numbers. I get always treated well. In addition, I asume some drivers I don't know personally, are aware I know their colleagues. Getting to your point, I am pretty much convinced tuk-tuks in Ao Nang are fair and reliable. But I also know about some hoodlum cases. I cannot confirm it with tuk-tuk drivers, but tourists renting a bike and returning late at night to their remote acoms and being attacked by young hoodlums pushing them off the road-side into ditches. It also happened near the Scandinavian Residence. If you board a tuk-tuk late in the night, notice their registration numbers and if you get into a problem, you may report it to the tourist police. I don't know of any cases tuk-tuk drivers extorted money from tourists. However some tourist felt like that, as they most likely were not able to correctly name the place they want to go and landed at the wrong and had to pay additional fees to get to their right resort.

2. Re: Staying a mile or two up the road...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 02, 2013