We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Which Ao Nang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, UK
reviews: 23
Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Hi there,

I am booked to stay in the Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi at the beginning of June and am now (like many others) worried about the recent sickness bug that people have reported.

I was wondering if anyone has stayed there recently and caught this bug (and I'm sorry if you did and it spoilt your holiday), and specifically if anyone booked to stay there with Virgin Holidays.

If so did they do anything (try to move hotels etc.) to help? I have raised my concerns to Virgin but have not yet had a reply, and I am seriously considering whether I should try and get our hotel changed before we go.

Maybe the bug will be gone by June but, as many others have noted, this is not a cheap hotel to stay in and I don't want to run the risk of a holiday being spolit by illness.....

PS: am re-posting with the hotel name spelt correctly, thank-you to those that replied previously!

Hampshire
reviews: 6
1. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Hi gill_n, I would send a pm to any of the people who have posted recently, they will be able to give you an accurate view of what is actually going on... more so than Virgin or the hotel itself...

Brighton, UK
2. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Yes, maybe that would be best, I have spoken to Virgin Holidays today who told me they are not aware of any sickness bug and that none of their customers have reported they have been ill whilst staying at this hotel........ hmmmmm.

Hampshire
3. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

They were aware of it last year as a few of us who were there in April contacted them, but they still fobbed us off...

The location is stunning and we found the staff fantastic. Hopefully the bug will have diminished by the time you go and you will have a lovely holiday...

According to management last year "just something that happens at that specific time of year..."

Just take your normal holiday precautions and you will have a great time, very relaxing...

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 82
4. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

If it were me, I wouldn't risk my holiday time on falling ill, even more so at a resort that claims to be a 5 star establishment that charges 5 star prices.

There have been plenty of posters over the years reporting the same kind of illnesses at this resort, and most of them are not "one-time posters" either.

In any case, it is your decision on what you do.

Hampshire
5. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Hi Redback_Venom, I totally agree with you on that, my hubby and girls were so violently ill for 3 out of our 6 day stay and the way the management handled it was horrendous. My post went live on our last evening and we were threatened in front of our 12 and 14 year old daughters that the manager wanted us to be thrown out of the resort that night, if he saw us...Guess they didn't like my honesty, I had told them I was going to put it on TA and was told by GM to go ahead, do what you want. Was also told by Resort Manager that due to my post, I would be responsible for cancellations and therefor staff job losses... ha ha, great response don't you think

BUT... If it is too late for gill_n to change locations, without incurring penalties, then as many others who have posted, she, if illness has diminished will have a lovely holiday. At least she is armed with the facts and can take precautions.

Many guests that have posted have had fab holidays...

Brighton, UK
6. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Virgin have told me we cannot change hotels as we are travelling within the next few weeks.

I will be really annoyed if we get sick having raised our concerns to them, I think it's pretty poor if any tour operator (or hotel) fobs customers off on health concerns when they are happy to take our money to book these holidays!

As Redback_Venom says, for a 5* hotel with 5* prices, it's not really good enough to have so many people reporting the same concerns and issues. I can't exactly say we are looking forward to our holiday now either which is a real shame.

Hampshire
7. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Hi gill_n, I know exactly what you are saying, but please don't let it spoil your excitement ... You are armed with the knowledge of what is going on so you can take all precautions necessary.

Many many guests have had amazing holidays there, so please go with an open mind. The location is one of the most stunning I have been to and the staff were fantastic, the spa was amazing (if with virgin, check and see if you are entitled to a free massage...)

The only other thing I would say is, if, when you arrive there is still a problem within the hotel, and they are still giving out letters, get straight on the phone to virgin and demand to be moved. (sure you wont need to do this...)

I am sure you will have a great holiday, let us know when you get back.

Happy holidays xx

Surrey
8. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

I have just left the Centara after a fabulous weeks stay and neither my wife or I caught this bug that everyone is worried about. We were notified of a virus going around the resort by the hotel on arrival, but I can honestly say I didn't see or hear anyone who had actually caught it myself.

The hotel is in a stunning location, everything was cleaned throughly and I would recommend a stay at the Centara resort. We booked through Virgin and I have no complaints with any aspect of our travel or stay. Go with an open mind and don't be put off by a minority of people who have caught an unfortunate illness.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
9. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

We stayed at the Sheraton in Krabi last year and people were sick there too, so I wouldn't worry about it, go and enjoy yourself.

London, United...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi sickness bug - Virgin Hols?

Just come back from the CGBR, me and the girlfriend were not ill but did hear of guests that were... but then again we didn't eat there except breakfast....

I would say CGBR is one of the best places to stay in AoNang compared to other resort we passed so it's defiantly worth considering as for the sickness bug... the only advise i can give is the one we followed. head out to town for dinner! (cheaper too).

Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang