We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow report - June 2013

Which Province of Trento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Lorenzo di...
Snow report - June 2013

Hi to all hikiers, I have recently been in the Dolomites for a brief hike to see what the conditions are like. After the very late snow we received in May and the following bad weather in June with snow again on June 23./24. the conditions are not too good. I put some pics online on

https:/…

so whoever is interested can have a look there at what it’s like right now. If you check also the local webcams you should be able to get a reasonable good idea of the conditions.

See you in the Dolomites.

Gerd

Groningen, The...
1. Re: Snow report - June 2013

I really hope the snow disappears in mid-July 2013. I plan to go there during that time. Well, any lucky guess or answer why in June there is still snow in the Dolomites ?

San Lorenzo di...
2. Re: Snow report - June 2013

Well, this year is definitely an abnormal year. Normally, the last of the "old" snow (snow from the last winter) is gone by end of June/beginnung of July. This year we had a lot of snow in mid May (up to 50cm, at places up to 1m). That snow did not melt away since we had only once or twice a longer warmer period. Additionally we had smaller amounts of fresh snow on other occasions after May, the very last snow fell - you guessed it - last night, surely only in some parts of the Dolomites, i.e. along the northern section of the Dolomites.

I too hope that the snow will melt away, however the long-term forecast (i.e. wetter.net/cgi-bin/… . It's in German language, but you'll understand the symbols and can interpret the indicators for temperature) is mixed with low temperatures. I leave it up to you to interpret this.

Groningen, The...
3. Re: Snow report - June 2013

I'm planning to hike the Alta Via no. 1, starting from Lago Braies. How's the condition on the trail if there's snow ? Is it still hike able or not ?

Thanks for your kind advices.

Groningen, The...
4. Re: Snow report - June 2013

I'm planning to hike the Alta Via no. 1, starting from Lago Braies. How's the condition on the trail if there's snow ? Is it still hike able or not ?

Thanks for your kind advices.

San Lorenzo di...
5. Re: Snow report - June 2013

Well, presently you will encounter old snow at around 2.500m, occasionally even at lower altitude. So starting from Lago di Braies it should be ok until you get towards Lagazuoi (2.700m) (the unfortunate thing is that you might have to skip Croda del Beco (Seekofel) from where you'd have fantastic views down to Lago di Braies as well as into the Dolomites - and to the Alpine North Chain, the main ridge of the Alps along the border between Austria and Italy. You'll have to check the conditions on the day - if possible: don't miss it!!!). There you'll encounter a lot of old snow that PROBABLY is not a big problem for as long as you have top boots. Trails 401 & 402 are also passing along northerly slopes, so there you'll also encounter snow since you're hiking there at around 2.300 - 2.700m. How far do you intend to hike?

Gerd

Groningen, The...
6. Re: Snow report - June 2013

Since I only have short amount of time, I am planning to hike from Lago Braies to Rifugio Lagazuoi and then head down to Passo Falzarego. Your advise on this route will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

San Lorenzo di...
7. Re: Snow report - June 2013

The last Section of trail 20 on the approach from the Rif. Fanes is shown on an additional foto I just have added at the abovementioned website. There you'll encounter quite some old snow as of June 27. As I said, it all depends of what happens in the next couple of days. Send me a mail to gerd@hiking-in-the-dolomites.it after Monday, July 8, then I'll have more news - or keep checking webcams.

By the way, there are more of my pics of the Dolomites on

Gerd

Oakland, California
reviews: 40
8. Re: Snow report - June 2013

Thanks for posting this Gerd - we are hoping for some melt by the middle of the month!

Oakland, California
reviews: 40
9. Re: Snow report - June 2013

Hi Gerd... do you forsee any problems for our group? We are heading from Lago di Bràies on monday (7/15) and exiting at Passo Staulanza 7 days later. Anything you think we should know at this point would be super helpful. Thank you again~!!

ps - you also need to tell me where we can find you so I can buy you a beer, you've been a really wonderful help in my planning.

San Lorenzo di...
10. Re: Snow report - June 2013

Hi travelgirl, thanks for the flowers :-) The weather was not too bad lately, and I think there was some good rain in the Dolomites lately. The snow up to 2.500m should be cleared now, in places with northerly aspects you still might encounter snow at even lower levels. I`ll be on another hike this weekend for sure, I should post some photos again then, just check my photo-website

If you start from Lago di Braies then you surely will be passing Rif. Biela. Do not forget what I said about Croda del Becco above!!!

Have a great hike, would love to have a beer with you folks (I`d only be less than 20 miles away), but I do have other obligations on this day. Pitty. Question: do you folks have insurance for helicopter-rescue? Or do you take the risk???

Gerd