We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car journey - Innsbruck to Val di Fassa

Which Province of Trento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
reviews: 9
Car journey - Innsbruck to Val di Fassa

Hi everyone

I'm considering skiing in the Val di Fassa this coming winter. I can find so few UK tour operators offering Canazei at a reasonable rate (any suggestions?!), that I'm thinking of hiring a car from Innsbruck and driving to the resort. It looks to be a fairly straightforward journey, but does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Presumably all the roads are kept clear if there's a lot of snow. Are snowchains etc essential? Any advice gratefully received. I've driven in the Alps before but only in the summer.

Thanks in advance!

munich
reviews: 38
1. Re: Car journey - Innsbruck to Val di Fassa

From Innsbruck Airport it is a short jump to get on the Autobahn A12 - then head towards Innsbruck (shortly) - then up over the A13 Brenner Autobahn (€8 Toll) which just turns in to Autostrada A22. At Vipiteno/Sterzing the Italian Toll starts - pick up a ticket. Exit at Chiusa/Klausen (just after the tunnel) - it is signposted Val Gardena Gröden at the exit. After the Toll you will come to a roundabout - basically straight over roundabout - Val Gardena Gröden is signposted - This is then the main Val Gardena road - about 1km or so after the roundabout the road turns left and goes under the Autostrada. The road is an "alpine" road so twisty in places and large stretches non-ovetaking. Basically you just follow this road towards Ortisei/St Ulrich to Val Gardena and follow the signs to Val Gardena/Wolkenstein (note many places in this region have Italian and German names) just drive through Val Gardena - always the same road. Eventually on the Passo Pordoi Canazei will be signposted.

Shouldn't take more than 2hrs - It takes me just over 3 from Munich to Val Gardena.

If you hire in Austria your vehicle will automatically come with Winter tyres so a good start (it is the law in Austria and those of us who live in southern Bavaria also generally fit Winter tyres to our own cars throughout the Winter months and carry chains - it is also the law here but more generally based on the prevailing weather conditions).

Whether or not the car will come with chains will be down to the hire car company. Normally cost extra. e.g. Hertz charge €36.66 for chains. Make sure you request them at time of booking as there isn't a "one size fits all".

Chain sets cover a range of tyre sizes and profiles so although one set may cover a number of models a set for a smart won't fit a 5 series Beamer.

Check out hire rates with the company. Can buy a set for ~ €45.

The drive is straight forward and the roads are kept clear but no one can predict the weather. I say straight forward as someone who has been driving in snow for over 20years and if it is your first time (using winter tyres) you may be a little anxious given how fast people drive in the snow.

Winter tyres work well in snow so it has to be bad to need to use chains generally.

Although we can not predict the weather I can say as someone who skis most weekends and has 3 or 4 short breaks each season (Ischgl or Val Gardena) I have never had to use chains because of excess snow. I have however had to use chains because of ice. This has solely been a problem with Hotel access - arriving in the resort no problem. The access road to my Hotel has been iced up. Has happened to me in Val Gardena and Ischgl. The incline in Val Gardena was next to nothing and infact only for 10yards max but because I could not get a run at the hill (had to make a 90deg turn towards the hotel so slow corner) wheels just spun on the iced road. The road had iced over despite being gritted. Had to put on chains just to get up 10 yards of road.

Bristol, United...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Car journey - Innsbruck to Val di Fassa

Enormously helpful - thank you!

3. Re: Car journey - Innsbruck to Val di Fassa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 08, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Province of Trento