We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Oxford, United...
survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Hi - taking courage in both hands I've booked a learn-to-sail-a-Dufour34-and-then-sail-it holiday with Neilson at Sivota. Any tips on survival with two adults, a 14-y-o boy and a 9-y-o girl? Don't mean survival as in shipwreck, but as in living together in what looks pretty cramped conditions.

Loos, showers, food, can you leave some of your bulkier bags at the Retreat while at sea, can you put in at secluded coves, how noisy is it at night when you're all moored up, any point in a 12v hairdryer, etc... Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Carlisle
1. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Hi

Well done on booking the holiday. I started sailing with Neilson in 2006 (at the Nidri base) and have never looked back. - be warned, sailing is addictive - I have been back to the Ionian every year since!!

Firstly, ditch the hairdryer even if it is only a 12v one. It may not work and it certainly isn't needed. Everyone just has the natural hair look.

You can drop anchor in secluded coves for lunch and a swim etc. With regards to food, you will be able to do the "bulk" of your shopping the day you are setting off on flotilla and there are supermarkets at most of the islands and evening stops. However, some islands may have limited supplies. ATM's are not always readily found.

You will be able to shower on your yacht but most places have showers available on land for a couple of euro's per person, which may be the better option as there are 4 on your yacht.

Don't take the hard rigid style cases with you, just take soft holdalls as they are easier to store.

I don't sail with children but have often heard that the more the children are involved the better it makes the experience.

Lastly, have fun and enjoy your holiday.

Feel free to ask any specific questions and I will answer any I can.

Karen

PS You may want to look at posts in the Outdoor Adventure forum too.

Oxford, United...
2. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

thanks! (hair dryer not for me, you understand...)

Carlisle
3. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Hi

Should have said in my original reply, that if you do shower on land there is often facilities for plugging in a travel hairdryer - I know you want to!

Karen

Leeds, United...
reviews: 5
4. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Hi, I am in party of 6 sailing the greek islands in September in a 45 ft yacht. i have been told that water is at a premium so any showers on board will be rationed. As i am not happy about this i was wondering what shower facilities there might be at the Marinas where we dock for the night. When i said i would go i was led to believe there would be shower blocks similar to our campsites here in UK. I have now been told that as the islands we will be visiting ( but no one can tell me which they are Grr) are small this might not be the case. My hair doesn't do the natural look, more likely to scare people so i have purchased a 12v hairdryer, - yet to be tried out. My main concern though is the lack of a shower after a day on the beach in the sun. I am seriously considering taking the flight to Kos waving bye bye to hubby and checking into a hotel. Any help with this problem is more than welcome. we go 14th September.

Thanks

Carlisle
5. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Hi

I may be able to offer advice regarding shower facilities if you can tell me which area of Greece you are sailing in. I have sailed the Ionian on a number of occasions

There were 4 of us on a 40 ft yacht last year and we all showered everyday without any water issues. You do need to be economical with water ie don't let taps run when cleaning teeth and soak your body, wash and then rinse etc. In the Ionian there are many places where you can fill up with water for a few Euros.

I took a 12v hairdryer a couple of years ago and it cut out after a few seconds, restarted, cut out. In the end I have only ever gone for the natural look. My hair isn't the best when naturel but I have learnt to live with it as sailing holidays are more than worth it. Some ladies take those clip in hair pieces and they can look really good too.

Karen

Edited: 7:31 am, August 28, 2013
Oxford, United...
6. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Just back from a week and it was great. First things first - loos and showers on shore become an absolute obsession. The loos on board are primitive and you have to store your used loo paper in a bin and who wants that. Showers are usually in the smelly and cramped loo. Alongside said bin. So you get into a routine of going ashore in the evening and finding a shower, usually attached to a recommended hotel or taverna for a couple of euros. They vary. I almost cried with delight when I found a crisp, clean marble shower and loo facility at Syvota last week. And a washing machine. In the morning make use of the same facilities. There is usually a relevant hair drier socket. Yachties will scoff at this, but quite honestly hygiene afloat is pants. Think caravans... Otherwise it is great. Swim in anchorages with shoaling fish. And make sure it's not all about sailing.

Sheffield, United...
7. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Im going to Lefkas with sailing holidays in October, any advice on shower facilities and things to do in this area would be appreciated

Carlisle
8. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

Hi HLF2013

Just about everywhere you go in that area has shower facilities on land. If you are on flotilla your hostie will advise you as to where they are. With regards to things to do I am sure after a good day's sail, and a stop for lunch and a swim you will be more than happy just to have a wander around the village and soak in the atmosphere. One of my favourites is the walk to Spartohori village on Meganissi - the views are wonderful.

Enjoy

Karen

Wiltshire, UK
reviews: 25
9. Re: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota

HLF2013 - We have just one week to go before our 3rd flotilla holiday from Lefkas with Sailing Holidays. We had no problems with our on board loo and showers, in fact we reverted to showering on board last year, after paying a few euros each for a luke warm feeble shower in a taverna. You should have plenty of piping hot water on your boat and the pump gives reasonable water pressure, though the space will vary depending on your type of yacht. In Greece, all loo paper is to be put in a bin, not flushed down the loo, so using your own loo and shower on board may be preferable to a shared taverna facility.

Reply to: survival tips on a Dufour 34 at Sivota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sivota
More Sivota Topics