We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irene

Which Long Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rpdwyer
Irene

Wishing everyone the best in LI with regards to Irene.

Please post updates and info when you have it.

Thanks.

--Rick

Edited: 8:38 pm, August 24, 2011
Nassau, New...
reviews: 42
1. Re: Irene

Heavy rain and winds with flooding in some areas. There have been reports of storm surges up to 10 feet in the southern part of Long Island and residents have been seeking higher ground. The St. Paul's church in Clarence Town has lost its roof, but have not heard of other specific damage, though would expect we will hear more tomorrow. The eye of Irene was moving over Rum Cay, some 35 miles to the east around 8pm EST, so Long Island will still be under hurricane conditions until tomorrow morning.

Mobile, Alabama
reviews: 6
2. Re: Irene

Dustytraveller- i have very fond memories of my only once visit to Long Island- I was so very sad to read about (a while before I read this) - and see the photo of the roof blown off of the beautiful church in Clarence Town. I hope you are safe in this monster of a storm.

tribune242.com/news/…commentsDiv

Gastonia, North...
reviews: 50
3. Re: Irene

I think I will be up all night checking in. Just can't sleep through this not knowing what is happening

Nassau, New...
4. Re: Irene

jungledriver, and DnAMobile, I feel your sentiments, but also know that I need to try and get some sleep tonight, as there may be some long days ahead once the storm passes us. Thank you for your concern. Off to bed now just as I can hear the wind and heavy rain pick up outside. Will post more as I learn more and as long as we have internet.

Gastonia, North...
5. Re: Irene

Dusty, hoping you wake up to sunny, calm clear skies. I meant that I would be checking the weather sites like wunderground.com and stormpulse. Again, hoping that everyone in the Bahamas makes it through safely.

Nassau, New...
6. Re: Irene

Woke up to a black day with the wind howling outside and rain. I doubt sunrise will make much difference. Of couse, have no plans to be outside at the moment, so can't tell what is happening beyond my window. I think the next couple of hours will be the worse. But we do still have power and internet, so that is something.

Preliminary reports coming in from some of the out islands are teling of extensive damages. Will post more as I learn of things.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 10
7. Re: Irene

Prayers and positive thoughts to all. (Ike survivor here)

reviews: 681
8. Re: Irene

Out Islands reports:

www.bahamaislandsinfo.com/index.php…

Houston, Texas
reviews: 10
9. Re: Irene

Oh, and Dusty Travell..windows shatter...be careful!

Gastonia, North...
10. Re: Irene

Sounds like Clarence Town is flooded. Hope my friends at Rowdy Boys are ok

Get answers to your questions about Long Island