We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace

wilmington, ohio
reviews: 4
Riu Palace

Is an excursion to Monteverde completely out of reach? I've been told the roads are horrid and traffic is very slow.

What excursions are available from the Rui? and are they reasonable? should we book before we arrive?

anyone have a great tour operator they'd like to promote????

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
London, England...
reviews: 80
1. Re: Riu Palace

Monteverde is about 5 hrs each way so no, not doable. The RIU is a very remote resort.

Although you can do trips to Rincon de le Vieja volcano/NP I believe.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Riu Palace

RIU has a tour desk on site (run by Hotelbeds). They do offer one day excursions to Montverde and Arenal, but its a very long day with at least 6 hours in bus time. As David E mentions below, its probably better to look at some of the tour activities in the Rincon de la Vieja and Tenorio areas, which are much closer to where you are staying. Hacienda Guachipelin and Buena Vista offer great full day adverture packages with horseback riding, hot springs, zip lines and tubing/water activities (depending on the package). Jacamar is a great local company in the area. HattieCostaRica has a good comprehensive list, I'm sure she'll post when she sees this.

Haverhill...
reviews: 29
3. Re: Riu Palace

I'm amazed that this didn't flag the normal reaction whenever the Riu resort is brought up....no need to book trips ahead of time. I stayed at the Riu in April....booked everything either thru the hotel or on the beach. The beach (Eriks Tours) will yield a better price, but I think he was cash only...either way you'll be fine.

Reply to: Riu Palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted