We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 15
NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Hi Everyone,

RIU has announced that they will be opening a new property beside the RIU Guanacaste, the RIU Palace Costa Rica. I usually love RIU Hotels, but I do not like the RIU Hotels in Costa Rica as they broke numerous environmental laws when building the first hotel. To support this forested area of Costa Rica, I wouldn't recommend staying at either of the RIU's. If you want to go to a RIU somewhere else, I would highly recommend Los Cabos, Cancun, Aruba, or Punta Cana.

You can check out the new hotel here:

riu.com/en/…index.jsp

I love RIU, but I would not recommend their Costa Rica hotels.

154 replies to this topic
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 26
1. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Thank you for your post, totaly agree the new Palace cost a numer of few hundred year old trees that misteriously died and conveniently allowed expansion.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

i wouldn't recommend staying at any riu anywhere. the owners of riu cancun, punta cana etc are the ones who built riu guanacaste. if you support one, you're supporting them all.

Edited: 6:16 pm, April 06, 2012
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
3. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Agree with sonnysullivan.

The Riu properties , besides environmental damage, not just here but in Mexico and other places as well, also kill animals, and support the concept of swimming with captive dolphins. AWFUL.

I fear this thread will be deleted any second now, but at least I got to have my say about something that is most important to me.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 35
4. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

As stated above, why on earth would you promote other RIU properties when it's all one big company....if you put $$ in their pockets anywhere in the world, you will just be helping them do more damage somewhere. Also, just because it wasn't publicized or people didn't strongly object, doesn't mean that they didn't do similar types of things at their other locations.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 7
5. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Just as others have said. If they did it at one property, there is a very good chance that they broke one if not many laws in the construction of the other properties.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
6. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Ditto Sonnysullivan 100% - RIU in this or any country will never get any of my money. You reap what you sow as it were....

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
7. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

And why I don't care about all this stuff? Never stayed in Rio but if the price is right ill be there. Why? Because I eat steak and don't care where it came from, that's why!

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
8. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

I'm sad for you, Marta, that you care so little about the country we love. Let's hope you have second thoughts.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 46
9. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

Like I always say: To some, the end justifies the means, particularly if it's all about money.

What a sad statement - but we all know that these kinds of people, unfortunately, exist in the world.

Perhaps, Marta, some day some giant corporation will come into your neck of the woods and destroy everything you hold dear without so much as a care about what they kill and what impact they have on you and everything around you. I am sure you will very much appreciate people like yourself...

Admittedly, this is one of the very few times here on TA that I feel disgusted.

10. Re: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:04 pm, April 16, 2012

Reply to: NEW RIU Palace Costa Rica :(
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted