We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

Ridgefield...
reviews: 16
Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Riu has decent loaner snorkels and masks. My son lost mine! I'm bringing my own flippers cause I wear a size 15 shoe.

Do not reply to this message with any comments about the Riu's environmental record. I have heard it all, didn't know about it before I booked, and cannot cancel.

9 replies to this topic
waterloo
1. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

Hey Frank.... When I was there they had decent snorkels and Masks...Unless you're and expert snorkler that is... but you should be ok.... Enjoy your trip there...:)

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 25
2. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

What is there to see at their "beach"?

Ridgefield...
3. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

I have some of the "experts" say there is nothing to see there but if you read the reviews for the hotel some people have commented that there are fish to see there and to even bring bread to feed them. One guy even complained that the fish were biting him! Sometimes it has happened to me too. Little minnow like fish nip at the hairs on your legs.

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 50
4. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

Just don't expect much - snorkeling in Costa Rica is nothing like the Caribbean islands, Bahamas or Great Barrier Reef. We knew this, still enjoyed it off a catamaran from Playa Flamingo, but had low expectations.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
5. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

Probably not great snorkling there but let us know! Be careful with your things on the beach, one couple reports having their shoes stolen while they were in the water.

6. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, January 27, 2012

Ridgefield...
7. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

OK I just got back and the snorkeling is below average. If the water is calm as it was 2 out of the 6 days we were there, you can see schools of Jack fish just off the beach but nothing else. If you walk down the beach a little to the rocks it gets a little better but nothing to write home about. Because of the volcanic sand the water can get quite cloudy so you often have to dive down 5 to 10 feet to see anything worthwhile. I brought my own equipment this time but would just use theirs next time. We did take the hotel's snorkel trip for $25 and it MIGHT have been worth it had the water not been so rough and therefore cloudy.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
8. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

The only person to highly praise RIU is CAJON now using another screen names...please be aware that CAJON is being pay by RIU people to praise them!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 138
9. Re: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling

The entire Pacific side of CR is not great snorkeling, its mainly darker sand, no reefs and rough seas...Playa Bellena south of Quepos is ok, and off Isla Cano at Drake Bay, but the overall snorkel/diving on the Pacific side of Central America is a 1 on a 1 to 10...

Rui and Pappagayo area is best avoided anyway, far nicer lodges and beaches elsewhere in CR....and cheaper.

Reply to: Riu Guanacaste snorkeling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted