We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Jackson, MS
reviews: 8
bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

We are staying at Riu Guanacaste 11/3-11/9, and I just read some disturbing reviews about bed bugs, amid many great reviews. I am now fearful and grossed out, but have already fully paid for our trip and changing it now is not an option. Recent guests, your experience?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

i haven't stayed at the riu, nor will i ever. three of the bed bug reports are within the past 21 days, so that's quite recent, i sincerely hope that you get a room without bed bugs, if you don't then you should be able to leave without penalty. please be careful as you walk around the forest and jungles bordering the property as they have used poison to kill trees so they can build their extension. you should also enquire as to where the wter for showers etc is sourced because the poison used to kill the trees will have seeped into the groundwater supply and this is how many in the area get water for everyday use. i am not trying to scare you, just letting you know the facts. there are two regular contributors on this forum who are paid to say good things about the riu and will try their best to deflect your attention from this very real concerns.

Playa Conchal...
reviews: 54
2. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Sorry no idea about the bed bugs, but I can attest to the well documented destruction of mangrove habitat and wildlife in the area caused by the construction, and expansion, of this resort. There have also been protests over diversion of already scarce water supplies from local communities, to this 700 room hotel.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
3. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Hi zjwJackson - Although I agree completely with what sonnysullivan and diver77 have written I do hope you enjoy your vacation. Nobody will fault you for staying there if you were completely unaware of the damage done, but we like to keep the word out there so others can make an informed choice.

I would suggest that you speak with your local health authorities tfor advice regarding the bed bugs. The only thing worse than finding them in your hotel room would be bringing them home!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 3
4. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Agree with CanaTico. Please don't feel bad as you have already paid for the trip and as you say, "changing it is not an option." But now you know what to look for so don't accept rooms that have these nasty critters! And if you have followed any reports on bed bugs, you know that they are VERY HARD TO GET RID OF, so look carefully! If you don't get satisfaction, then demand a refund! Enjoy your trip.

FYI-I have not been to the RIU and would not go to any of their properties, due to their environmental record and their treatment of animals and mammals.

Puntarenas, Costa...
reviews: 12
5. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

zjwjackson, as you will be arriving at the RIU in a few days could you please take a moment and after posting your review, let us know how your holiday went?

We would all appreciate an update, (including the previous posters who share a united distaste for this CR govt approved resort), as it's a beautiful property, however, not immune to those who are determined to find fault....possibly, IMO, a number of the negative reviews have been posted by those who weren't even in the area..so your report will be most helpful.

Thanks for your time, and do enjoy your holiday.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
6. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Cha-ching!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Well I was at the area as a protester...and I will any time they need me there...maybe some people have to uderstand COSTA RICA is a free country...as long as we respect each other...

As I said many times I love MY country...as many great people from around the world...the same people that we feel very sad about the killings of Seals permitted by some countries...

I will do anything possible to protect it from any body...easy for some people to promote places...they are not even from here...and good chances they are part of them...also easy to defend a eco-disaster hidding behind a computer...

For my surprised and many more , some body that denied even the existence of our Secreatry of Tourism ICT now suddenly the ICT is the best...!

Copy paste...a united distaste for this CR govt approved resort

Who aproved the Resort !!! ICT our Secreatry of Tourism.!!!

But also incredible that this person is not even from OUR country!

Well maybe is a well known lawyer..which I doubt it!!! Lawyers know better!

Bed bugs is about the only LIVING CREATURE left at RIU since they did excellent JOB killing most of the wild life around...

Incredible what a few freebies can do in some people!!

roadadvisor

Edited: 6:46 pm, November 01, 2011
Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
8. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Exbeachers2 thank you for bring this to the top of the page. It is important for every potential traveler to be aware of the disgusting environmental record and the bed bugs at this resort. Don't worry I am sure your friend MikeA943 will agree with you shortly

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
9. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

It's hard for me to believe that someone who cares about Costa Rica could dismiss what has happened - and what is happening - at the RIU by saying it's a "beautiful property" and thus ignoring everything else.

I have had Costa Ricans ask me: "What were the RIU executives thinking? Did they just not care" In Costa Rica, we have seen several luxury resorts who have worked hard to integrate with the local community both environmentally and culturally. Punta Islita is a good example of that.

There are ongoing problems with this resort, not the least of which is the huge amount of water that they use in an area that doesn't have a lot of water available.

We understand that your vacation there seems to be "set in stone" so really no problem as you did not know what was going on. And yes, we realize that vacation time is precious so hope you will enjoy your visit.

But I would not be fooled by people who pretend to care while portraying those of us who object to what the RIU has done and is doing in that area as simply sharing a "united distaste" which we most certainly do -- and with good reason.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: bed bugs at Riu Guanacaste?

Dear Cana Tico...most of the time it is about 2 minutes to agree...just wait!

Thank you I know you are from Canada...such a nice lovely people that help my country in so many ways...we have no words to thank you and most of the great wonderfull Canadian people...but as they siad...nobody is perfect!

roadadvisor