We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

Toronto, ON
reviews: 13
Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

HI All,

Planning a last minute trip from Toronto to Waterloo outlet and finish shopping by like 3 PM, I am thinking either just go to Bath (where we booked the motel at) and just chill have dinner and sleep early. then next morning to a state park to do a little hiking , waterfall seeing, then head to Corning for the afternoon.

How does this sound ? am I missing some point of interest along the way.

And more importantly, we are family of 6 , wife and I in early 40s, kids 13 & 8 plus in laws 60 + , which state park would offer the best hiking experience consider the families conditions ? I suppose trails with flat surface and maybe less than an hour would be good ?

thank you all in advance.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 143
1. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

If your destination in Corning, you could stop in Watkins Glen; which is on the way. The state park is one of the best in the state but the trail is definitely not flat. There is a shuttle during the summer which takes you to the top and you can walk down but I'm not sure if it is still running.

Toronto, ON
2. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

thanks rjr0810 , so if the trail at Watkins is not flat, is it like trail with lots of rocks and steps ? Is Taughannock Falls State Park a better for my case ?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
3. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

The trail at Taughannock is basically flat and is a really lovely trail.

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 63
4. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

Seconding the trail at Taughannock for your situation, it's very flat.

Just returned from the overlook yesterday, I'm thinking this weekend through next will be exceptional for the foliage. A suggestion - if you're going to take the trail out, don't stop at the overlook first, if only because the view from end of the hike is stunning and if you have a chance to see it that way first it will be even more awesome. By all means go to the overlook after you come back for another great view of the falls with a different perspective, though.

Edited: 9:38 pm, October 09, 2013
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
5. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

Also make sure you check out the gorge behind the falls (take a left out of the overlook lot, when the road ends take another left a quick right into the parking area; follow the trail - it will be obvious. Also be sure to check out the views from the bridge).

Toronto, ON
6. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

thank you all !

and thanks to youtube, I showed one of the Watkins glen trail video to the in laws, they love it and confident that they can finish the trail, just debating if we should go down or up and take the return trip by bus.

so , I will now plan to visit both Watkis and Taughannock.

Boston...
7. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

Hi, if you are in waterloo,then The Willard Chapel is about 8 miles away to the east. The willard chapel is the only chapel that Tiffany did in entireity.It is truly a must see, they do tours for around 4.00 dollars. It is truly wonderful. ,

The Willard Memorial Chapel

The Willard Chapel is an extremely rare example of the work of Louis C. Tiffany and Tiffany Glass and Decoration Co. in that it is only complete and unaltered Tiffany chapel known to exist.

Included in the Tiffany interior are 14 opalescent windows, a rose window, a large figure window, nine Mooresque styled chandeliers, memorial tablets of glass mosaic tile and gilt bronze, furnishings of oak inlaid with metal and glass mosaic, a ceiling with gold leaf stencils and mosaic flooring. Built in 1892-1894, the interior of the Chapel was designed and handcrafted entirely by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company of New York City and is the only complete and unaltered Tiffany designed religion interior known to exist in the world.

8. Re: Which lake(s) is good for my family ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 10, 2014