We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti Asians?

New York
Anti Asians?

I heard that the Finger Lakes area (actually was told the whole upstate NY) is very anti-Asians and that it is dangerous for Asians to travel there on vacation. We are a Chinese family who is planning to rent a lake house next summer in the Seneca Lake area. Now we are concerned about our safety. Should we be?

Lodi, New York
reviews: 14
1. Re: Anti Asians?

That is NOT true at all! I'm honestly having a hard time believing that anyone would say such a thing. We have a very low crime rate in the Finger Lakes to begin with, and we have numerous universities (Cornell, Ithaca College, Hobart & William Smith, to name a few) that draw students from all over the world. We are most definitely a multi-cultural region.

Fort Collins...
reviews: 340
2. Re: Anti Asians?

I am not of Asian descent, but have lived in Upstate NY for 40 years and specifically had a vacation home on Seneca Lake for 25 years. I have not witnessed systematic animosity against any population, and do not believe the area is dangerous for Asians or that they should be concerned about their safety if travelling here.

With that said, you should be aware that the Finger Lakes area is generally rural and not quite as cosmopolitan as NYC. There can be isolated instances of intolerance anywhere, but if you are a respectful traveler/neighbor you will likely be treated respectfully in this region. Don't believe everything you read/hear.

Boston...
reviews: 134
3. Re: Anti Asians?

That's a severe accusation. I'm not Asian, so maybe I have nothing to say, but I can't help but say that upstate NYers were so nice, we were joking about it when we visited. Everyone was super nice, it was almost comical. (We are used to big-city brusqueness).

It seems like an extreme thought that it would be not just unfriendly but dangerous to all Asians. If you are concerned, you might want to call the local police and ask about hate crimes targeting Asians and see what the statistics are.

Edited: 10:00 am, September 01, 2013
Syracuse, New York
reviews: 70
4. Re: Anti Asians?

If you follow an american culture, you should not be so concern about it. There will be issues ie if you have unsupervised young children running up and down the street, or young children swimming in the lake without a life jacket and without an adult with them -> that a safety issue. If you treat others nicely, your children are well-behaved, I am sure that they will treat you and your family nice as well, just a common sense. I don't ever hear any anti-asian here in upstate NY and I am asian decent.

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 63
5. Re: Anti Asians?

I'll chime in as a life long western NY'er - there are no more prejudices here than there are anywhere else I've been in the country (and less than most). There is definitely nothing systemic, though there are individuals (as can be said anywhere). Ithaca and Rochester specifically have good sized Asian populations, probably stemming from the universities.

I'm hoping that whomever you heard this from wasn't taking a rude individual as indicative of the entire population.

New York
6. Re: Anti Asians?

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better now. The person who told me about this was referring to some Vietnamese people getting harassed and hurt at a supermarket years ago because of their Asian descent. I stated that it must have been an isolated incident but was told that racism against Asians is rampant in upstate NY. Your comments help alleviate my concerns. I will be looking into spending a week there next summer. Thank you!

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
reviews: 3
7. Re: Anti Asians?

I do alot of bussiness in the Binghamton NY area, and it is very diverse. Shouldn't be a problem

Edited: 10:58 pm, September 01, 2013
Canandaigua
reviews: 136
8. Re: Anti Asians?

Good heavens, don't give it another thought!

Ithaca, New York
reviews: 47
9. Re: Anti Asians?

If you are walking around in Ithaca in the Collegetown neighborhood, you are just as likely to hear Chinese or Korean being spoken as you are English. =)

I hope that you feel welcome in our area. Ithaca in particular has quite a large Asian population, and the restaurants and grocery store aisles reflect that diversity.

You will be welcomed at the local wineries, where they are used to tourists from all over the world and of all nationalities. There are great family activities to do if you have kids. You have chosen a great place for a vacation!

10. Re: Anti Asians?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 07, 2014