We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erie Canal sites

Wichita Falls, Texas
Erie Canal sites

We're 2 couples, mid 60's, planning to check out sites along the Erie Canal on our drive from Boston to Niagara in late June. We'd like to take 2 or 3 days. We like easy hikes, cycling, history, scenery, and want to go thru a lock or 2 on the canal. Suggestions please-there is much to chose from. Not interested in shopping or wineries. One of us is a big train fan-any in the area? Thanks.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 143
1. Re: Erie Canal sites

The Erie Canal museum, Old Erie Canal State Park, Camillus Erie Canal Park are all worthwhile stops near Syracuse. There is also a good outdoor living history museum in Rome (Erie Canal Village). These will give you a good historical perspective of the canal.

In Lockport, you can take a leisurely guided ride on the canal. A highlight is

being raised and lowered 50 feet in the only double set of locks on the canal.

You can bike and walk along the canal and enjoy great views in Fairport, a pleasant suburb of Rochester.

Have fun!

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 63
2. Re: Erie Canal sites

The Sam Patch out of Schoen Place in Pittsford, NY also offers canal rides and goes through at least one lock. Here's a link to their site:

samandmary.org/index.php/…sam-patch

On your drive you will want to pick up NY Route 31 for at least part of the journey, starting in Clyde, NY (you would take the route 414 exit of the New york Thruway, I *think* it's exit 41) to pick it up), as it follows the canal into Rochester and passes through many of the communities that the canal served.

new york
reviews: 136
3. Re: Erie Canal sites

All good suggestions here. I have not taken the Lockport ride. Did ride the Sam Patch, it was a short quiet ride but great fun to see be in the lock while in action. Enjoyed the Camillus Erie Canal park ride too, a much smaller boat, you may need to make reservations here as they sell out quickly. Had a horse-pulled ride on a feeder to the original canal at Erie Canal Village in Rome. Reviews differ on Erie Canal Village. My family enjoyed our visit several years ago, but then again, I avoid any amusement-type places and the Village is very rustic. Can't think of any train sites. There is the Adirondack Railroad that goes from Utica to Old Forge for a day trip, runs in the fall, not sure about the rest of the year. Interested in NY's Revolutionary War history? Old Fort Johnson, Fort Plain Museum, Herkimer Home, Oriskany and Fort Stanwix all located near the canal route. You can dig for diamonds in Herkimer, although I didn't have much luck! Genesee Country Village in Mumford is a favorite of mine. Although closer to I90 then the canal, this living history museum has many well kept buildings and interesting events that keep my family coming back again and again. If you have never been to Niagara, the touristy area seems overwhelming, but the beauty of the area is there for those who want to look for it. The state park on the US side is very nice, with a nice trail along the river. You might want to visit the Welland Canal in Ontario, it is about 15 minutes from the falls. Watching the lakers go thru the locks is a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Ithaca, New York
4. Re: Erie Canal sites

In June i would suggest you check out Lock 32, which is the US Olympic kayaking practic area. You can have a great meal in restaurants in Fairport and Pittsford. You can go to the quilt museum in Palmyra. There are other tour boats than the Sam Patch. All info about the canal is here: ilovethefingerlakes.com/recreation/canals.htm

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Upstate New York
reviews: 6
5. Re: Erie Canal sites

For your train buff friend:

http://www.nymtmuseum.org/

6. Re: Erie Canal sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 27, 2014