We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-day between Niagara & Washington, DC w/2 kids

Germantown, MD
1-day between Niagara & Washington, DC w/2 kids

We will be returning from Niagara Falls (Canada) to Washington, DC, but will be stopping mid-way in the Finger Lakes. We currently have reservations in Corning (Comfort Inn) for 1 night. I was thinking of going to Watkins Glen (I read Treman state park is nice) to do some hiking/exploring and maybe other sights. Does anyone have ideas on an itinerary or if this would be a good area to explore w/kids (girls ages 8 & 11)? I've heard about Corning Museum, but not sure we want to spend lots of time there, as it's our only day in the area. I am up for anything (including changing resvs if necessary)--just not sure which area to hit. Also would like it to be about half-way to home (so 4-6 hrs would be good).

Ithaca, New York
1. Re: 1-day between Niagara & Washington, DC w/2 kids

I'd love for you to stop off in the Finger Lakes, but Corning is definitely not mid-way between Niagara Falls and DC. The Corning Museum of Glass has a great kids program and shows kids how glass is molded. I think your children would enjoy it. The Rockwell Museum in Corning also has a kids program. Treman State Park is in Ithaca. Watkins Glen State Park is in Watkins Glen and has 19 waterfalls, including one you can walk behind. Kids always like that. In Watkins Glen, at the base of Seneca Lake is Seneca Harbor. If you have bikes, the trail head for the Catharine Valley Trail is right there. There is a tour boat for the lake, but I prefer the ride on the schooner Malabar X. There is a wine tasting on board. The last sailing of the day is particularly nice at sunset. Use the keyword search on my website to learn more.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

2. Re: 1-day between Niagara & Washington, DC w/2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 28, 2013