We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

Halifax - UK
reviews: 5
Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

Hello, we are thinking of having a weeks holiday over June half term and are thinking of visiting Harlech, Portmerion, Conway, Plas Newyd, Criceth and Snowdon. Where would be the best place to base ourselves to avoid unnecessary travelling?

Thank you for your time.

16 replies to this topic
Scunthorpe, United...
11. Re: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

pandachris2 I'm pleased we both agree that Dolgellau to Portmeirion is more than the 10 minute estimate by monty-doggy.

If you reread post 6 '"At a steady 60mph (which is the speed limit on single carriage ways) that is going to be 19minutes. Knowing the road I'd have thought it difficult to maintain this average speed over the full distance, so think the AA and google estimate of 35 minutes is more realistic.".

I could have gone into detail about speed restrictions through Penrhyndeudraeth and Minfordd which will reduce the average speed from 60mph but was trying to keep the answer short and simple.

I'm not quite sure who your comment 'The advice given re driving times was at best misleading and needed to be corrected by "someone who knows better".' is aimed at. I'm not being stroppy, pedantic maybe as I felt that the times given by monty-doggy were much too low. Dolgellau although a very nice small town isn't the best choice for a base given the places the OP wanted to visit - which we both agree on.

Edited: 12:12 pm, May 10, 2012
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 17
12. Re: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

I'm fully in agreement with you, EESW. The advice re driving times being "about 10 minutes" was misleading and the stroppiness was comment about "there's always someone who knws better" and the whole 'I'm not playing anymore' thing. So it was you who was correcting the misleading comment and then attracting criticism for doing so.

I completely agree that your estimates and those of the AA etc. are realistic and the monty-doggy ones the exact opposite. You would probably need to spend some time at more than 130 mph to get from Dolgellau to Portmerion etc. in 10 minutes and I would not fancy that at all.

Scunthorpe, United...
13. Re: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

Thank you for correcting the misunderstanding, as I'd mistakenly read the post at having a pop at me too.

Edited: 1:59 pm, May 10, 2012
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 17
14. Re: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

Far from it. I was simply a little perplexed by the "there's always someone who knows better" which is fairly negative and quite rude. The fact is that you did know better.

London, United...
15. Re: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

Personally, for all the places that you want to stay in I would think that somewhere from Criccieth broadly up to Blaenau would be the best bet. If you want a town with a good choice of food shops you can walk to, its Porthmadog, if you want a choice of pubs/restaurants you can walk to then Porthmadog or Criccieth, if you want a village with single pub, then Maentwrog or Llanfrothen (and maybe others), if you want a farmhouse/cottage type place out in the wilds then anywhere you like. Penrhyndeudraeth, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Llan Ffestiniog are fine towns/villages too, and more local in feel, which you may prefer. Harlech is great but out on a limb for your other needs. Personally I dont care for Portmeirion, and apart from a wonderful mural in one room, Plas Newydd is a bit of a wash-out, in my view again. Much nicer is Gwydir Castle, on the way to Conwy for you, and Plas Mawr in Conway. Better Gardens at Bodnant near Conwy and small Plas Brondanw near Porthmadog, and I think a more interesting stately home at Penrhyn Castle near Bangor.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
reviews: 16
16. Re: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?

If you want the least travelling, stay in Maentwrog. If you want more facilities (but rather less charm) stay in Porthmadog.

I'd stay by the sea in Cricieth and put up with a little more travelling on the days I headed east. Harlech is too twee and touristy for me, but has a wonderful, deserted beach.

Blaneau is a bit gritty for a holiday destination IMHO, but Stephen's suggestion of Llan Ffestiniog is an interesting one - there's a basic shop and pub and you can walk straight from your door. You could do a lot worse.

Mike

Reply to: Where to base ourselves in North Wales?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trawsfynydd