We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

Gastonia, North...
reviews: 50
Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

It's illegal to catch lobster between April 1 and July 31. The best bet is not to eat it out of season as it's hard to determine if it was caught in season. There are other things to eat during this time. Try some lionfish!! It's super yummy and an invasive species so doubly beneficial to the reefs of the Bahamas!!

The lobsters thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Tallahassee, Florida
reviews: 2
1. Re: Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

Hi jd! How often do you see lionfish on menus? Do you know of any places to get it on LI? I have been wanting to try it, but never see it. I don't think I would want to clean it, but I would buy the meat from a fisherman to cook if that was available. Any advice?

Gastonia, North...
2. Re: Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

Are you going this year???? We have never seen it on the menus unfortunately. Maybe if more people ask for it restaurants will start to serve it. North LI has had a couple of derby's but nothing on a regular basis. They are fairly easy to spear if you want to try your hand at it. Presley Pinder might have some on hand, he is very good at cleaning them. If you email him in advance he can probably stock up some filets for you.

tjsboatrental@hotmail.com or phone 242-357-1164, 242-472-0436, 242-338-8978

Also the chef at Cape Santa Maria may know, she won first place in the cooking contest at one of the lionfish derbys.

Tallahassee, Florida
3. Re: Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

Thanks! I will contact Presley. We are going to LI in early October. A change from Cat due to so much being closed on Cat at that time including the house we want to rent. We will plan ahead and go to Cat next, but not in Sep. or October which is our preference. Where are you off to next?

Gastonia, North...
4. Re: Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

Oh good, I hope you love it like we do. You are starting to run out of islands!

We'll be there in July and also back to Great Exuma.

Tallahassee, Florida
5. Re: Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1

You have to visit Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands one day. You will love it. So private and quaint. Gorgeous beaches, and everyone is VERY nice!

Reply to: Please don't eat lobster out of season - Closed April 1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted