We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Rental advice

Saint Augustine...
Need Rental advice

Hi - My wife and I are in planning a trip to Exuma for 8 days in the beginning of August. We are struggling to decide on a rental. We are looking for something $150 per night or less (not including tax), that is directly on the water. All we need is a 1 bedroom or studio with bath & small kitchen. She wants somewhere on a white sandy beach with calm clear water, while I want somewhere that I can do some fishing from the beach or a short kayak paddle & maybe a little snorkeling from shore. So far these are the two rentals we've found, wondering if anyone can offer any info on these rentals, or offer any other suggestions that may meet what we are looking for.

#1 Seaside Cottage Seabiscuit http://www.vrbo.com/143542ha

#2 no name (Angies house maybe?) http://www.vrbo.com/942603ha

Thanks for any help!!!

Houston
reviews: 118
1. Re: Need Rental advice

I prefer Palm Bay because of the location, they have kayaks you can check out, beach is ok and fishing is very close and from the beach.

For the link you have to the property at Palm Bay: we rented this one in March 2014. It is NOT one that allows you access to the amenities at Palm Bay like checking out kayaks, using the shuttle into town, charging things to your room from Splash or even using the pool. Our party that stayed in the place constantly ran out of hot water (only a 20 gallon tank).

Seabiscuit looks nice and I k now the location is good. Kinda far from town and you aren't ON the beach 'exactly'. But I think it might work out great for what you are looking for.

Saint Augustine...
2. Re: Need Rental advice

Thanks for the help LittleJohn. I actually looked at & really liked Palm Bay, deal breaker for us was no stove to cook. We may eat out for dinner once or twice, but we are much more likely to buy fresh fish & lobster & cook ourselves. Other than the lack of kitchen, the place looks wonderful & the price is good.

If anyone else has any info on the rentals I listed, or can suggest any others, please share.

Pickering, Canada
reviews: 6
3. Re: Need Rental advice

Let me start by saying I'm no destination expert. I was on the island only for a week at the end of February. But maybe I can help since we were looking for the same kind of thing as you. We were super close to renting Seabiscuit . I even spoke to the owner a couple times. A very laid back lady. However, at the very last minute, we ended up getting a Hillside Garden View studio at Hideaways at Palm Bay. Our decision was based on budget. We did not intend on renting a car for our entire stay. If you stay at the Palm Bay location, you can get away with not having a car. Not the case at Seabiscuit. We rented directly from Hideaways so we had use of the kayaks and shuttle to go to town. We still rented a car for 3 days so we could see other beaches. We timed it to return it at the airport on our departure day. While we were left wondering how our stay at Seabiscuit would have been, we never regretted our decision. We used the shuttle to go get some supplies in town on the first day and then to catch the water taxi to Chat N Chill on another. The beach directly in front of Palm Bay is nice to look at but it's not a swimming beach as it is very shallow. However, Jolly Hall is a 5 mins walk on the beach and it is gorgeous. On a calm day, it was the closest thing to paradise as we could think of. No amenities on that beach though. But it suited us fine as we had the place almost to ourselves. We saw some guys fishing on a couple occasions, but not sure if they had any luck. Between Jolly Hall, using the kayaks, going to town and then going to Chat N Chill, we were busy enough to not regret not having a car. There are a couple dining options at a walking distance. There's not much more out there anyways even if you have a car. If taking a taxi when you arrive and it's before 6pm, you can ask the driver to stop at the deli at Hoopers Bay before getting to your lodging. They have lots of prepared foods like lasagna, sandwiches, salads and rotisserie chicken. Expensive but all the food is on the island. Even though we would have like a stove, we did just fine with the fridge and microwave. Regarding snorkeling however, the water is so clear at most of the beaches, there's wasn't much to see. We did not find a decent spot. I'm sure there is but maybe we didn't look hard enough. The one day we probably had the best opportunity at Stocking Island, it was covered, windy and the water was too rough. I think I'm writing you a novel here so let me try to summarize. Seabiscuit: Right by the water but no beach beside a sand bar you have to wade to at low tide. Perhaps fishing may be better there? More out of the way. Need a car the entire time $$$. Nothing at walking distance. However, full kitchen. Palm Bay: Beach in front is good for wading, not swimming. Great beach 5 mins away if you don't mind walking. Closer to town. Walking distance to dining options. Kayaks at both so that's not a tie breaker. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more!

Edited: 12:01 am, March 30, 2014
Manistee, Michigan
reviews: 18
4. Re: Need Rental advice

If you contact Hideways at Palm Bay directly, they will have some other options for you. We just stayed there in February in one of the beachside villas and we loved it. We had a car the entire time, but it would be easy enough to not have one. Thompson Car Rental is just across the street if you change your mind. We also saw people fishing but never saw anything caught. We took our snorkeling equipment but never really found a great spot to use it. We took the all day trip with 4C's which let you snorkel for about 30 minutes. Not the best we've done. People were snorkeling right in front of the resort pretty much every day. Lots of rays and some turtles.

new york
reviews: 42
5. Re: Need Rental advice

Hello, I was able to rent a house in hoopers bay for July, the water in that area is very calm and beautiful,I used the site VRBO check it out!

Saint Augustine...
6. Re: Need Rental advice

Thanks for all the advice everyone. FoodTravel, thanks for your experience on Seabiscuit vs. Palm Bay, we are going to give Palm Bay some serious thought. At this point we've decided to expand a bit & look into rentals on Eleuthera & Long Island as well, although our first choice is Exuma, maybe we will find the perfect fit on another island.

LunaBen - Do you have a VRBO link or the VRBO number for the property you are speaking of?

Gastonia, North...
reviews: 52
7. Re: Need Rental advice

Just my opinion but the snorkeling from shore on G Exuma is almost non-existent. We love the island but to get to the snorkel spots you'll need a boat. Maybe it will be calm enough in August to snorkel on the east side of Stocking Island. It was too rough when we were there.

Rochester, New York
reviews: 48
8. Re: Need Rental advice

My husband and I are going to Great Exuma for the first time at the end of April. We have rented the Driftwood Apts. The website is http://www.stay-exuma.com/. Although we have not been there before, I have done extensive research on rentals on the island and I am confident we are in a great location. It is a villa situated on Hoopers Bay, which is calm and beautiful. The owners Christine and Mike, never rent the 2 apartments at the same time so you have the whole place to yourself. I felt the weekly price was very reasonable, $1350. That included taxes, deposit, etc. The owners have also been wonderful to deal with and we can't wait to go!!

Saint Augustine...
9. Re: Need Rental advice

Thanks Dameemer, we saw those & loved them, but they must be very popular because the dates we need were already booked some 5 months out. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 125
10. Re: Need Rental advice

Chk out Serenity Cove on Ten Bay on eleuthera. I think you'll find its fits your needs to a T