We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exuma Beach Snorkeling

South Louisiana
reviews: 21
Exuma Beach Snorkeling

My wife and I started snorkeling over 35 years ago off Eleuthera’s shores. We started using Google Earth to spot reefs and measure how far they are offshore about 7 years ago. We print these maps and input them into our GPS. The only down side is that grass beds can look like reefs from the satellite pictures.

We are going to Great Exuma for the first time Easter week. We plan on using this technique on our trip. We would appreciate other beach snorkel folks to input their experiences. I believe this forum is a great place to compile this information.

Eleuthera Example:

Twin Cove reef 25°13'2.44"N 76°14'43.90"W

Start on the North beach sand strip going to the island (it is an island at highest tide). Snorkel around the twin cove going from the left cove to the right cove. The top of the reef is about 5 feet under the surface but that depends on the tide. It is longer than the island. This is about an 700 yard snorkel or as far as you want when you start exploring the reef.

Note to beginners: Never stand on a reef

Note to accomplished snorkel folks & photographers: Wear a weight belt but make sure that you are slightly buoyant. I use 4 pounds. This way I do not have to spend excessive energy to stay underwater and shoot pictures.

Thanks,

Fritz & Janet

2 replies to this topic
Houston
reviews: 88
1. Re: Exuma Beach Snorkeling

We have found the best snorkeling around Guana & Fowl Cays (there's a nice reef area) and then a few spots around Crab Cay. Depending on the current/waves, you can go on the Atlantic side of Stocking Island from the path by "Hamburger Beach'. There's a nice wall there with about a 100 foot drop.

Arkansas
reviews: 96
2. Re: Exuma Beach Snorkeling

using your littlejohns advice we did both as well and best is around Fowl Cay and the far side of Crab Cay. There are some other smaller spots too

Reply to: Exuma Beach Snorkeling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted