We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belle Mer Cottage on Tar Bay

Lincoln, Nebraska
Belle Mer Cottage on Tar Bay

Planning a trip with 8 adults and a Grandson that will be 2 spring 2015. Does anyone have any advice? How is this property? Beach calm enough for a 2 year old? Should we rent a boat or hire a guide? Anything will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
reviews: 2
1. Re: Belle Mer Cottage on Tar Bay

I have not stayed in this house, but have stayed down the beach and seen it, and have considered it for future trips. It is a very nice house -- nicer and newer than many and I thought that it looked well-appointed and laid-out for a multi-generation trip.

Tar Bay is a long stretch of Silver Beach. Perfect for long walks, uninterrupted. The surf is generally pretty calm, but that can change, depending on the wind. There really isn't anything breaking the waves (like Stocking Island), other than some coral. I have never seen it "Corona Beer commercial" calm, but nobody is surfing on the waves there either.

Renting a boat to explore Elizabeth Harbour is great fun for a day, as is chartering to see the Exuma Cays on the Thunderball Tour. I'm not sure if Minn's rents boats big enough for your group, so a charter (we used 4C's) might be the way to go.

Savannah, Georgia
2. Re: Belle Mer Cottage on Tar Bay

I have stayed here twice. There are only three bedrooms in the main house and one above the garage that is a bit musty (that would be the "short straw room"), so you know. I had my daughter sleep in a pea pod tent in one of the walk-in closets (ages 2 and 3). All have private baths. Great kitchen and open family room area. Great location. Perfect sand. Water can be super calm to fairly rough. You can watch kids from the porch, the beach is so close.

MA
reviews: 5
3. Re: Belle Mer Cottage on Tar Bay

Did you check out the Mermaid House (also on Tar Bay)? It is a bit more off the main road and a bit more private. They just added 2 more bedrooms and a deck above the addition with views of the ocean and sunset. The ocean in front of the house is free of any rock in the water, so it is perfectly aqua blue.

Reply to: Belle Mer Cottage on Tar Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted