We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Franklin, Tennessee
reviews: 1
Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Hello,

We are travelling to Exuma in a couple of weeks and will be staying at the northern end of the island near what Google Maps calls Alexander along what is the “creek” or “cut” that splits Great Exuma from Madam Daus Cay. I'm very interested in nice beaches at that end of the island that are rarely visited by others. I'd love to take the family to a "deserted beach" where we would have it to ourselves for the entire day. Obviously, there are no guarantees but would like to improve the chances if possible.

We should have access to a jeep, a "glass bottom boat", and kayaks with relative easy access via the creek to both the eastern and western sides of the island. Traveling to some of the cays or less accessible beaches on the island (east or west side) is definitely a possibility. I’m particularly interested in Long Cay, Brigantine Cay, and several other places. Please see my map at: http://mapfling.com/q883929

In addition to taking the family somewhere fun and quiet, I’d like to also visit some of the places on my own to indulge in my hobby of photography. One of my concerns is about communication in case of emergency. I understand that most, if not all the island is covered by Verizon but was wondering how far out to sea the coverage extends. In other words, if I at Sandy Cay (I think that’s the right name) at the extreme southern end, past Hog Cay, will I get any coverage. Do I need to think about bringing some kind of radio and if so, what type? Is it even feasible to consider taking a “glass bottom” boat from the north end and circumnavigating the island in a day with stops along the way for photography? I consider myself a “cautious adventurer” and would really love to go around the island and just explore but don’t want to take unnecessary risks.

Also, would love any suggestions for photo subjects. Really love old boats (especially beached or wrecked), old buildings (abandoned ones are awesome), piers, etc. It’s not that I’m into depressing subjects, I just like to imagine the story behind the abandoned building, boat, bus, etc..

Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Birmingham, Alabama
11. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

It's cariberesortbahamas.com

I'm trying to find out some more info before we commit.

Franklin, Tennessee
12. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

We are heading there 3/14 for 5 nights. We'll be sure to give a report when we get back. We simply cannot wait!

Franklin, Tennessee
13. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Barbara has the right website. They've also posted the GPS coordinates on their website so you can find it on Google Earth. It's 27 minutes from the airport according to Google.

Birmingham, Alabama
14. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Thanks so much - can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

Philadelphia
reviews: 21
15. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Let's see Alabama Tennessee ...hmm are u guys tired of winter??? If we Can t afford our trip we were considering driving south in our vintage scotty trailer!! Ha ha last week of march will it be warm in your driveways?

Birmingham, Alabama
16. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

How was your trip?

Reply to: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted