We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Franklin, Tennessee
reviews: 1
Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Hello,

We are travelling to Exuma in a couple of weeks and will be staying at the northern end of the island near what Google Maps calls Alexander along what is the “creek” or “cut” that splits Great Exuma from Madam Daus Cay. I'm very interested in nice beaches at that end of the island that are rarely visited by others. I'd love to take the family to a "deserted beach" where we would have it to ourselves for the entire day. Obviously, there are no guarantees but would like to improve the chances if possible.

We should have access to a jeep, a "glass bottom boat", and kayaks with relative easy access via the creek to both the eastern and western sides of the island. Traveling to some of the cays or less accessible beaches on the island (east or west side) is definitely a possibility. I’m particularly interested in Long Cay, Brigantine Cay, and several other places. Please see my map at: http://mapfling.com/q883929

In addition to taking the family somewhere fun and quiet, I’d like to also visit some of the places on my own to indulge in my hobby of photography. One of my concerns is about communication in case of emergency. I understand that most, if not all the island is covered by Verizon but was wondering how far out to sea the coverage extends. In other words, if I at Sandy Cay (I think that’s the right name) at the extreme southern end, past Hog Cay, will I get any coverage. Do I need to think about bringing some kind of radio and if so, what type? Is it even feasible to consider taking a “glass bottom” boat from the north end and circumnavigating the island in a day with stops along the way for photography? I consider myself a “cautious adventurer” and would really love to go around the island and just explore but don’t want to take unnecessary risks.

Also, would love any suggestions for photo subjects. Really love old boats (especially beached or wrecked), old buildings (abandoned ones are awesome), piers, etc. It’s not that I’m into depressing subjects, I just like to imagine the story behind the abandoned building, boat, bus, etc..

Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Houston
reviews: 88
1. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Looking at your map, there's lots of deserted places with empty beaches, sand bars, etc..

Going from the north end to Sandy Cay and south is a pretty long trip. If you have a larger boat, that makes it easier, but then you'll have a hard time getting close because of the shallow water and sandbars.

The kayaking is great in that area and you should have some good photog spots. Since we are normally around George Town and south, I can't help with boats and buildings.

Hope this helps a little.

Franklin, Tennessee
2. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Thanks Littlejohn. I've been seeing your name crop up a bunch of times in the forum so I was hoping to hear from you. I've been looking at also possibly kayaking over to Moriah cay. Are there any public parking spots where we can "put in" to minimize the kayaking distance. My wife is not the most avid kayaker in the world so I'd like to make it as easy as possible for her.

Thanks again!

Houston
reviews: 88
3. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

www.brkayak.com/Trips/exumas/exumas.htm for some info.

There are places to put in that you'll see on your existing map. We get to the area by boat and then just swim/float in. You generally don't see anyone all day!

Little Exuma
4. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

You usually can get cell coverage about 5-10 miles out..my dad gets cell service on certain parts of sandy cay. Since your in the area we call "western area" i would suggest checking out coco plum beach.

Glastonbury...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Ferg,

That sounds like a GREAT trip---and pretty much right down my alley!

Question though.....

WHere are you going to be able to rent a boat that you can take that far? As far as I know, Minns in the only game in town and will only let u take her in the harbor.

Or do you have connections to rent a boat with no such restrictions? If so, I am JEALOUS!

Glastonbury...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Also, I would suggest obtaining nautical charts for the Exumas (www.explorercharts.com) and also keeping a close eye on the tide times. Keep in mind being on the bank and, especially up the creeks, that the tide will lag Nassau by an hour or more possibly, but check with a local to be sure!

Beach at point E might be very rough as the wind in March can be very strong out of the Northeast!!

If you are really venturing out, I would recommend renting a Sat Phone for peace of mind, especially with a family! I'm doing a similar style trip (renting boats in even more remote islands than the Exumas in July) and will have a Sat Phone on me. Its pricy, but worth it IMHO!

Please promise me you will post pics with a full write-up when you return!!

Edited: 10:31 am, February 28, 2014
Franklin, Tennessee
7. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Thanks everyone for the tips and info.

Papafox, the place we're staying at was recently purchased by some old friends of ours. It has 4 cottages for rent. My understanding from them (keep in mind that this was after several libations) was that each cottage comes with a jeep and it's own glass-bottom boat as well as snorkel equipment and kayaks. So, I assume that the boats are not really meant for the rough seas that we might face in the open ocean so I have no intention of straying too far from land at all. In fact, I was planning on shadowing the coastline at all times except for when taking the shortest route from the main island to one of the cays. I do own several Wilson basketballs but no Wilson volleyballs so I wouldn't know what to do if I got stranded on an island.

Thanks again!

Franklin, Tennessee
8. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

Bump.....for locations of any abandoned/wrecked boats or buildings.

Birmingham, Alabama
9. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

We are looking at staying at the same place sometime in April - when are you going? Would love to get a trip report when you return! Thanks

Philadelphia
reviews: 21
10. Re: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?

We are looking for a place for two or three nites..wend of march ..do you have a web page or email for your friends and those cottages?. Is it near the airport?

Reply to: Staying on the north end...beaches, boats, photos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted