We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

chesapeake
reviews: 13
What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

Tried searching but am not finding my answer so far. Anyway, this is our first trip to GE and I wasn't planning to bring any food/drink items but keep reading about people who do. Seems like a lot of trouble but they must have their reasons or they wouldn't do it.

What I want to know is if I should bring things that are hard to find like good coffee. My hubby likes to grind the beans and is kinda picky. Should we bring coffee or is it readily available or crazy expensive? We can go w/out beef for 5 days. But is there anything you wouldn't forget to bring?

MA
reviews: 5
11. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

We did the same as Nashpam. We picked up produce, dairy etc. throughout the week. It worked out great and we plan to do it again. Besides the cost, it saved on valuable beach time that would have been spent doing a major shopping trip. I got my bag (sounds similar to Nashpam's) at BJs.

Houston, Texas
12. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

We are going to Exuma Thanksgiving week. We plan on taking a soft cooler with all our meats and packing rice, pasta, coffee,creamer, tea stuff like that. Does customs limit you to amount that you can bring. We coming in on Sunday and I know the stores close early. We are also bringing wine.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
reviews: 35
13. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

Technically, each traveler can bring up to $100 worth of food or products to the bahamas. And 1 qt of alcohol per adult.

There used to be a restriction on Chicken.. but I haven't heard of anyone haveing trouble lately If you are carrying alot of food.. keep your receipts or price tags on products.

bahamas.com/vacation-planning/customs-immigr…

Edited: 6:20 pm, October 15, 2012
Houston, Texas
14. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

So it has to be from the store package? Can we not vacuum seal our food? I talked to the airlines and they did not say it was $100.00 .I told her we wanted to bring meats, rice, pasta, coffee, and wine. They told me as long as it was checked baggage.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
reviews: 35
15. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

the airlines have NOTHING to do with a countries customs and immigration policy. You go thru customs after you leave the plane in the bahamas.

As for store packageing. If you are talking about meat.. you can seal the lable in the vaccuum packaging to show it's USDA approved. If it's not USDA approved, it won't pass customs if inspected.

If you are planning on sealing chuck cheese or other products.. they may not pass if then were not sealed at point of manufacturer..

As far as $100 pp.. did you not read the link from the official bahamas websites?? It's $100 pp.

Edited: 12:23 pm, October 16, 2012
MA
reviews: 5
16. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

I'm not sure how often they check people's bags, but neither our bags nor our friends were checked. The customs guy just asked us a general question about our vacation and then we were off.

I would do your best to follow the guidelines. If you don't want to vacuum seal the already packaged meat/cheese, just slip it in a freezer bag before you pack it in your cooler. One hundred dollars a person is a good amount, so I'm sure you will be fine. I was concerned about it but it all went smoothly.

Enjoy!!!

17. Re: What food items should we DEFINITELY bring, if any?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 18, 2013