We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

reviews: 6
Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

We are coming to Exumas for the first time in November. We like to explore deserted beaches which I am thinking may be off Queens hwy down dirt roads or unfinished tracks of land. (We visited Long Island last year and it was this way) Do you advise a jeep or 4wd as opposed to a regular car rental? We would like to visit every beach possible and will also rent a boat for the offshore cays. Thanks for any recommendations.

Houston
reviews: 88
1. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

4 wheels (drive!) are hard to come by unless you book EARLY. Others will adive on the best place for selections.

A boat is wonderful. Many positive comments on Mimms. Most don't want you to leave the 'harbour' area because it's pretty remote and if you run into problems, not many people are around. I suggest renting cell phone or radio for time on the water. Sure would have come in handy for us!

Strandhill, Ireland
reviews: 214
2. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

Nearly all the roads off the Queens highway are dirt tracks...including down to Tropic of Cancer beach & Coco Plums. A regular car will do, just take it slow as some of the 'potholes' are enormous. We scraped the underside of our car a couple of times, but it was fine! Good luck getting to all the beaches...there are loads, all pretty much deserted.

Galena, Ohio
reviews: 76
3. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

We had a Corolla and found that we would have to drive as far as we could , park the car and then walk until we could see water. Never had to walk very far, but many of the roads do not have actual driveable surfaces all the way to the beaches.

Colorado, USA
reviews: 20
4. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

I haven't explored all the beaches, but so far Ihave not found any that are not reachable by a normal car. Some of the roads are a little rough, but are no problem for a regular car.

Have a great time and write back on any new beaches you discover!

reviews: 6
5. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I'll be happy to post a trip report upon return.

Philadelphia
reviews: 2
6. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

I agree with all the previous posters. All of the known beaches are accessible with a regular car. Most of the rentals are smaller toyotas or nissans. Just take it easy! We have an older jeep and rarely have to use the 4WD.

Definately rent a boat from Minn's. Stocking Island is loaded with beaches. If the weather permits, Fowl Cay has a nice secluded beach and a great reef spanning the inlet.

Colorado, USA
reviews: 20
7. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

Hey 7 mile, where is Fowl Cay?

Strandhill, Ireland
reviews: 214
8. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

http://www.exumamap.com/map.htm - see fowl cay at the right hand end of Stocking Island. It's about as far as Minns will allow you to go in their rental boats. But the snorkelling on the reef there is superb, definitely my favourite place to snorkel around the harbour. It's teaming with fish there! …blogger.com/_Vx5AgBmW6yc/…IMG_1457.jpg

Philadelphia
reviews: 2
9. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

As IrishCaptain said. On the Minn's map it's at the extreme limit of the boating boundary

Stocking Island - Elizabeth Cay - Guana Cay - Fowl Cay.

10. Re: Is jeep necessary for roads to beaches off Queens Highway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 04, 2009