We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach is longest?

Nassau, New...
Which beach is longest?

Hi! Say you wanted to walk for 4 hours along a beach, which beach is longest? How long would you say it is? Thanks!

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 123
1. Re: Which beach is longest?

Maybe lighthouse ?

Eleuthera
2. Re: Which beach is longest?

I believe Club Med beach is the longest on the island, its 12 mile drive, so about 3 hour walk. Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
3. Re: Which beach is longest?

No! Old Club Med beach is around 1 mile. This is a poor sudo-name for this beach. It's probably the best example of the beauty of the beaches of Eleuthera. Lighthouse beach, and the north section of Savannah Sound beach, are much longer. We have walked all three of these beaches.

Now when it comes to Old Club Med beach - Club Med is gone. The true name of this beach is "French Leave" beach.

So I propose dropping the sudo-name. and using the real name "French Leave". It's a beautiful name that better justifies tthis beautiful beach IMHO

I hope others on the forum support this prroposal.

Thank You Everyone

Edited: 9:57 am, June 10, 2013
Missoula, Montana
reviews: 2
4. Re: Which beach is longest?

Try Airport Beach. It is a fabulous place for a long beach walk. It is about 3.25 miles long of continuous beach. Round trip it would probably take you 2-3 hours depending on your pace. If you wanted to go longer you can keep heading south, you will hit one rocky point (an easy one to cross and if it is low tide shoes are optional) and pass a couple of rental homes then you have another 3+ miles of unspoiled beach till you hit the Sky Beach Club.

French Leave Beach (Club Med) :) is relatively small (1 mile). You can keep heading south, which I think was what Tanya was suggesting, but you have to cross at least three rocky areas. It is not one continuous beach, and there are a lot more homes on that stretch.

Edited: 10:16 am, June 10, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Which beach is longest?

MontanaK is right! Airport beach can be a long trek. FYI around the south point of French Leave beach is what some call Tippy's beach. Though the Bahamian name is "Pot Latch" beach.

Westfield...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Which beach is longest?

French Leave beach sounds a lot more impressive to me. I support your proposal!

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Which beach is longest?

Thank You JAJSaint.

Any other voices out there on "French Leave" beach?

Memphis, Tennessee
8. Re: Which beach is longest?

The correct name is French Leave Beach and it is just over one mile long.

French Leave was a small resort from 1950 to 1972 and the new French Leave Marina Village is under construction now.......French Leave Beach for me!

Los Angeles
reviews: 10
9. Re: Which beach is longest?

What does "French Leave" mean? French people aren't welcome here? :)

Eleuthera
reviews: 13
10. Re: Which beach is longest?

"French leave" is an old slang term for "going AWOL" or evading one's responsibilities -- i.e., a stay at the old French Leave Club was considered a great way to get away from the crush of everyday life.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera