We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines

New Jersey
reviews: 45
United airlines

Just wanted to see if anyone had similar experience. This has happened to me 3X now ... Booked flights almost 6 months in advance to take advantage of lower fares. Flying from Newark-Ft. Lauderdale-North Eleuthera. First flight booked 7:30am out of Newark, with about 2 hrs in Ft.Lauderdale before connecting on to ELH. So here's the glitch (keeps happening)... about 2 months prior to the trip, i get a call or an email from United Airlines saying that the 7:30am departing flight has been cancelled and that i need to change the whole itinerary (later flights will not make the connection). This time, even worse, the return flights were also scrapped (they won't say why but presumably since August is low season maybe they can't fill the flight). So now i either have to come home a day earlier or 2 days later (which is a problem for the rental)... Question - anyone have similar issues or (better yet) - a better (more reliable) airline suggestion? Thanks

Eleuthera
reviews: 13
1. Re: United airlines

Yes, I've heard of that happening, and often. The obvious solution is to fly into Nassau and hop over via SouthernAir, Pineapple Air or BahamasAir, all of which have afternoon flights to Eleuthera.

I understand that some people have an aversion to connecting through Nassau. But we do it several times a year. Granted, it's not as smooth-and-easy as flying direct into ELH or GHB, but it gets the job done. We travel that route because we can't connect in FLL or MIA early enough to catch the Eleuthera flights and don't want the time/expense of a layover.

You can often get some pretty decent rates into Nassau, as it's a competitive route. From our US departure point, it's *way* cheaper to go through Nassau as opposed to MIA or FLL.

NYC
reviews: 3
2. Re: United airlines

Yes, similar thing happened to us. 6 of us traveling mid-July and return trip FLL-EWR instead of a 2 hour layover, they canceled our flight totally - we now have a 6 hr layover in FLL. Very frustrating when you purchase flights in advance and make all of your plans. United has changed the schedule 3 times on me so far...

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
3. Re: United airlines

Ouch! Yes times have changed by an hour for us, but never had the whole flight scraped. Can you get in through Nassau, and save losing the 2 days. Probably need an up charge on changing flights though. Sorry to hear about the situation. Coming home through FLL we always leave a 4 hr. window - just in case. Flying down through FLL we take the chance with less a window.

Mandeville...
4. Re: United airlines

WOW !!! Hope this doesn't happen to us. We are coming in December, flying from FLL to GHB, hopefully "considered" a busier time and this wont be the case, This BS is not a way to start a vacation. Anyone know of this happening in the December/ should I be prepared to stay an extra day or two. Speaking of changing flights, yes I've had my flight # changed 3x"s already and we booked back in February.

Edited: 9:17 am, June 06, 2013
Mandeville...
5. Re: United airlines

I HOPE this is not the case with the cancelled /delayed flights for us, being our first trip to the island, but it seems though these delays have happened during the Hurricane season and anyone coming for the holidays wont experience this nightmare !!!!!!

Eleuthera
6. Re: United airlines

Most likely Dec will be fine since thats peak season for travelers. But still ALL flights are subject to change, even BahamasAir does schedule changes such as: some months they will have departure times at 8:10am, other months they'll have it as 9:55am and not show the change on the internet as you book your flight. I've seen passengers arrive at the airport for check-in at 7am and their connecting flight in Nassau leaves around 10am and they miss it. So just be sure your flights have ampul amount of time between eachother, such a hassle, but thats the way the airlines work. It would be best to call and keep checking on the flights for any changes.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
7. Re: United airlines

With the state of the economy in the USA and particularly the struggling airlines, most airline companies now want to fly full or almost full flights. To maximize what little profit they make they cancel flights and combine them with others on the same routes. unfortunately, that's what's going on these days.

tireboy
8. Re: United airlines

For years now I've been reading these kinds of stories about the direct flights into Eleuthera from Miami or Fll...Twin Air, Continental,Silver,AA..etc etc etc....why people insist on useing these once a day small aircraft flights from Florida that keep getting changed or cancelled when they could fly to Nassau and have a chance at multiple flights on 3 different airlines into Eleuthera I'll never understand....the original poster is coming from Newark.....Continental has a direct non-stop 737 flight into Nassau from Newark that arrives at mid-day so they have plenty of time to connect with any one of the 3 mid-afternoon flights from Nassau to GHB. Very bizarre.

tireboy
9. Re: United airlines

For years now I've been reading these kinds of stories about the direct flights into Eleuthera from Miami or Fll...Twin Air, Continental,Silver,AA..etc etc etc....why people insist on useing these once a day small aircraft flights from Florida that keep getting changed or cancelled when they could fly to Nassau and have a chance at multiple flights on 3 different airlines into Eleuthera I'll never understand....the original poster is coming from Newark.....Continental has a direct non-stop 737 flight into Nassau from Newark that arrives at mid-day so they have plenty of time to connect with any one of the 3 mid-afternoon flights from Nassau to GHB. Very bizarre.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
10. Re: United airlines

Tireboy, there are a number of advantages of flying direct Florida to Eleuthera. Your information about the planes being used is not correct as the American and United (Silver) flights from Florida use larger, more modern, faster, and more reliable planes than any of the airlines that fly from Nassau into Eleuthera. Twin Air and Continental no longer fly these routes. It is also much easier and quicker to deal with customs and immigration at ELH or GHB than Nassau. I have used the American flight out of Miami dozens of times over the last several years and have never been more than 15-20 minutes late, and have never been in a customs line for more than 5 minutes (lines in Nassau are often a couple of hours). I'm pretty sure that the three airlines out of Nassau have a poorer record for delays and cancellations ("If you have time to spare fly BahamasAir"), the only advantage being as you mentioned there are three flights a day so if you get bumped you have another chance. I also assume that American and United have more planes available than BahamasAir, Southern, and Pineapple if they have a mechanical issue with one plane, as well as better safety records.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera