We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa selection

NJ
reviews: 1
Villa selection

I need your help. I have narrowed down my selection to the following villas but can't make a decesion. Please share your views if you have visited or stayed at any of them. Our priority is a nice shallow calm beach for our toddler, close proximity to town and restaurants, nice interior. We will be there with my parents so a total of 4 adults one child. Thanks

On the rocks - beach looks good for our kid but not sure about the rooms

7 Palms - Can't tell if the ocean views are good or if the beach is suitable

Mon Soleil is good because its on club med beach but have heard that the rooms have no ac and there could be some construction next door

Twin coves - good beach interior looks very dated

Tropical impulse looks good - is doube bay good for a toddler ie calm?

Bahamas castaway - looks good also but pics show a lot of reefs close to the beach...pls share your thoughts

Lastly Villa de palmas looks awesome except its too far from governor harbor and other beaches. We do not want to be sitting in a car for too long.

Sorry for this long email but any help you can provide is appreciated. As I mentioned the main priority is clear/calm beach. Thank you all.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
reviews: 2
1. Re: Villa selection

I stayed at Twin Coves in March. The beach is exactly what you are looking for -- two shallow, calm coves for swimming and snorkeling. Very convenient ot shops and restaurants. A great big patio and pretty grounds.

However, you are right about the interior being dated. There is no AC, dishwasher, washer/dryer.

In our experience, the Palmetto Point/Governors Harbor area is a great place to stay. The Atlantic beaches are our favorites, and many are protected from big waves by the reefs. Ten Bay beach is a great beach to visit with a toddler -- calm, clear and shallow for yards and yards.

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Villa selection

On the Rocks is a great house but as the other post indicates it doesn't have a/c so if you're going from June - Sept you may be quite uncomfortable. We've stayed at Tropical Impulse and it is a great home on a great beach. The beach is protected by a reef so it isnt' rough unless there's been a storm.

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Villa selection

On the Rocks is a great house but as the other post indicates it doesn't have a/c so if you're going from June - Sept you may be quite uncomfortable. We've stayed at Tropical Impulse and it is a great home on a great beach. The beach is protected by a reef so it isnt' rough unless there's been a storm.

NJ
4. Re: Villa selection

Nashpam, thanks for sharing.

m3hale, I did not realize that On the Rocks had no ac. We will be going in late oct/early nov but I think we would prefer a place with ac. Do you remember how long the drive is from Tropical Impulse to Gov Harbor and the beaches in that area? Also are there restaurants in and around Tropical Impulse? Thanks

Atlanta
5. Re: Villa selection

We just got back from Tropical Impulse with our 3-year-old and the water is perfectly calm, even when a storm was approaching.

The beach is THE BEST - beautiful - no coral up close to the shore, so no cuts on the feet. And, only a slight incline up to the house - it was just perfect. A lot of houses near N. Palmetto have ricketly wooden stairs to a high cliff - NO GOOD for toddlers.

We traveled all over and walked along MANY beaches and kept wondering why we were leaving the one in front of Tropical Impulse!!!!

Atlanta
6. Re: Villa selection

Oh, forgot to mention - great restaurants near Tropical Impulse -

Dolcevita is fabulous. It's about 3-4 miles from Tropical Impulse on the Caribbean side. Wonderful Italian chef preparing fabulous Italian food. Great wine and a full bar. Keep following the signs - you'll start to think you're on the wrong road for all the potholes, just keep going. More romantic and no so much for the kids.

Tippys is fabulous as well. It's about 7 miles north of Tropical Impulse. The food was wonderful (real chefs) and the atmosphere was very relaxed. We met a couple who could not stop eating there - they went every night for 6 nights. Meals like shrimp, chicken and sausage jambalya, crispy snapper, fresh prepared pate, tomato and basil bruchetta. And kid-friendly - they have french fries and ice cream! Great mixed drinks as well - full bar.

Cocodimama is good. It's a little North of Governor's Harbour, a nice spot to visit. I don't think the food is as good as Tippy's or Dolcevita, but the atmosphere is nice and the food is good. Kid -friendly and very open - they actually had a few toys for kids to play with in the middle of a beautiful atmosphere.

Unique is close to Tropical Impulse, but we were not at all impressed with the food. Avoid the buffet. I've heard of others have had good meals there, but we did not enjoy it. Totally unimpressed.

Mate and Jenny's is heavily advertised, but we found the place did not deliver. We went one night for dinner at 7:00 p.m. and received NO service. My husband actually went to the kitchen door and asked them if they were open and got a really hard look.

Hope this helps.

NJ
7. Re: Villa selection

Thanks hungryjenn for all the details. I think I have pretty much narrowed it down to On the rocks (which does have ac per website) and Tropical Impulse. I think there is a price diff so may be a factor. Thank you for the details regarding the restaurants.

Boston
reviews: 18
8. Re: Villa selection

You should reconsider Twin Coves. The beach is perfect for kids with the flat wide sandy spit and the protection of the little island and off shore reefs means minimal waves. While dated inside, everything is perfectly functional. The owners are putting in a new kitchen in August, including a dishwasher. Also purchasing new some new indoor and outdoor furniture and freshening up the bathrooms. AC is not necessary in Oct/Nov. The owners are investigating Central Air but probably won't happen before the coming winter.

9. Re: Villa selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 16, 2009