We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report so far

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 1
Trip report so far

Thought I'd post briefly, although I've only been here since Saturday.

Arrival not auspicious, cold rain, delayed flights etc.

But, staying at Jasmine, and loving it. Lovely house, beautiful beach, friendly neighbors.

Highlights so far: the library in Governors Harbor, lovely building on lovely site, nice librarian; we joined, happily.

Leon Levy Preserve - wonderful experience, and good exercise!

Great lunch at Banks Road Deli.

Fun lunch at Buccaneer, good chowder and grouper sandwich.

Home made rum cake.

Delicious dinner at Tippy's - conch fritters, goat cheese salad, chicken fajitas and roast grouper.

I hate to post negative stuff, but we had dinner at Sky Beach, and it was not good at all. The service was friendly, but I honestly feel that I have to say something to warn people because it was expensive and I would have been disappointed even if it weren't.

Both our dishes were fish based, and had tiny overcooked pieces of fish on them . They were mostly rice.

Maybe the chef had an off night? But at Tippy's the fish was plentiful and perfectly cooked, and we won't take a chance on Sky Beach again.

It's a bit scary driving here at night, and we were warned repeatedly by people who live here year round to be very careful. There have been some pretty bad accidents lately, apparently.

Went to Ten Bay and Double Bay beaches. Snorkeling on Double Bay, according to my husband, good for coral, not many fish. Quite a lot of seaweed on both beaches.

The weather is beautiful now, and I've had two lovely swims already this morning on "our" beach.

Oh - we are used to Anguilla, and didn't realize how cool it is here at night. I bought a sweatshirt. Going to dinner in evening can require some layers. The lady at the table next to us last night was using a blanket!

My post seems a bit negative to me - sorry - we are having a lovely time here, even if I haven't managed to get that across.

Oops - forgot to mention Da Perk in Governors Harbor, very good espresso and carrot cake (I guess everyone can tell I like my food!)

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
reviews: 21
1. Re: Trip report so far

Thanks for sharing!

Phoenixville...
2. Re: Trip report so far

Also disapointed with the food and service at Sky Beach. Rainbow Inn is good$$. Sunset is good. Don't miss Billy's Tree in James Cistern the Stubbs are super people. Rosie's Northside is worth the trip. Friday Fishfry in GH is must. Many more good, small local eateries.

Kissimmee, Florida
3. Re: Trip report so far

So sorry you did not have a good meal at Sky Beach, last year they had a good cocktail hour. Continue on and let us know how the remainder of your trip went.

Eleuthera
reviews: 13
4. Re: Trip report so far

Great report, hope you keep posting.

Unfortunately, the couple of notes above re Sky Beach are in sync with what we're hearing from expat/homeowner friends. Haven't been there myself in awhile, but we're hearing stories of food that varies from pretty decent to pretty bad, service that varies from indifferent to aggressively bad.

Darned shame if this place goes down the tubes. Let's hope they hear the rumbles and get a grip on things.

On the upside, we keep hearing great reports on Rainbow Inn. My wife had lunch there with friends the other day and raved about it. Great food, service, etc.

KrisTX
5. Re: Trip report so far

We are heading down next week and are also used to Anguilla weather. Thanks for the heads up! it looks COLD there. Yikes. Is it really harder to drive there than AXA?

Kamloops, Canada
6. Re: Trip report so far

Was at Skybeach in November for dinner (couldn't find any place else open!).

Expensive and small portions were my main gripes. Food was decent at the time - but business was slow slow slow..... Neat setting with a lot of potential, that is for sure!

Newport, Rhode...
7. Re: Trip report so far

I have so far been afraid to drive, and I drive everywhere in Anguilla, at night, too. My husband doesn't seem to mind it much. But it's definitely easier in Anguilla.

The water is warm, so even though the air is cold, you can still swim.

Things I wish I'd brought: my jeans, a longsleeved shirt and a sweatshirt so I didn't have to buy one for $49.50! It's fleece-lined and warm, got it at Norma's in Governors Harbor - nice store.,but have needed it as a top layer in the evening - over my light danskin workout jacket - since no heat in houses, obviously.

Oh, at Governors Harbor airport you wait for your luggage outside. Hilton, our cabdriver, and my husband waited for it while I shivered in the car (Saturday was the worst - such cold rain)

That's it for the negative stuff. It will probably be much warmer when you are here.

We have another two weeks, and the weather has not discouraged me at all.

You'll have a good time.

If you are a coffee addict like me, you can buy Lavazza coffee at Banks Road Deli.

It suddenly occurs to me that I have based all this info on Governors Harbor and have no idea where you are staying! Also that I have gone on too long.

Dallas, Texas
8. Re: Trip report so far

My experience was actually the opposite. My meals while staying at Sky Beach Club were phenomenal. i especially loved the grouper sandwich. My dinner at Tippy's was just OK. Both settings were phenomenal and both lie on some of the most beautiful beaches that i've seen.

It's been awhile. So, i'm not sure if SBC has the same chef. Both environments were ideal for rum punch overlooking some of the clearest water in the world. We didn't go to Rainbow Inn, but will make sure to hit it during our next trip to Eleuthera!

9. Re: Trip report so far

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera