We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahamas Air

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 1
Bahamas Air

Well, I didn't do the best job of booking flights for my first trip to Eleuthera, and am scheduled to fly Bahamas Air from Nassau to Governors Harbor (with another stop first on Eleuthera, which travel agent didn't mention; I definitely have better luck booking for myself!)

Numerous posts trash Bahamas Air; has anyone had a good experience? Any tips? I do have three hours between my ETA in Nassau and my ETD to Eleuthera, which I hope will be long enough. Have heard horror stories about this sort of thing.

We just have carryon, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any info. I guess I'm really looking for reassurance that I'll actually get to Eleuthera on the right day...

We are booked home on Southern Air Charter from Governors Harbor with plenty of time to connect. Anyone used them?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
1. Re: Bahamas Air

The extra stop is standard. After you take off again its a 10 min. flight to GHB. When you walk out to the plane on the tarmack in Nassau you can have your carry-ons stored in the hold.

No Problems Mon its The Bahamas!

Missoula, Montana
reviews: 2
2. Re: Bahamas Air

It sounds like your itinerary is just fine.

I think Bahamas Air always lands in ELH for 20 min before heading to GHB.

Nassau, New...
reviews: 42
3. Re: Bahamas Air

Bahamasair is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've flown numerous times over the last 30-odd years and the vast majority of flights are easy and on time. A very small percentage of late flights or cancellations during that same time. However, it is almost a national pastime to make fun of and disparage Bahamasair.

Southern has been around a lot shorter time than Bahamasair, but is well run and the majority of their flights are on time -- even a bit early at times if everyone is checked in and the plane is ready to go.

A vast number of domestic flights, no matter which airline is used, tend to make multiple stops, usually on the same island. This is entirely normal, and does not present an issue. The thing you do have to be aware of is that, at times, depending on passenger and luggage loads, the flights may stop in different order than expected, so if you are not certain where you are or where you should be getting off, don't be afraid to ask. I've seen people get off at the first stop, only to realize that their luggage has gone on to their real destination -- 100 miles down the road!

Your layover time is perfectly adequate -- even with a nice cushion built in. Unfortunately, it isn't really long enough to leave the airport, but there is a Wendy's in the domestic terminal and a few gift shops about. And another cafe, gift shop, liqour store and Dunkin Donuts in the waiting area past security. And there is a shuttle bus between terminals, or if you are in a rush, you can easily take a taxi for around $8.

New England
4. Re: Bahamas Air

Lot of people like to complain about BahamasAir, but in my experience they are no worse than any other airline, maybe I have just been lucky?

Regina...
5. Re: Bahamas Air

just used them a couple of weeks ago, and all was just fine, infact left early once we were all there.

nassau
6. Re: Bahamas Air

If you have time to spare, fly Bahamas Air ...is the running joke line here. I find that the delayed/late flights are the ones to and from Florida. And generally not their fault. Ramp and runway delays, and of course thunderstorms cause them. And since it's usually the same plane making multiple trips back, once one transit is delayed, it throws off the schedule for the whole day.

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Bahamas Air

Thank you all.

Hope this thank you posts; I'm having a bit of difficulty.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
8. Re: Bahamas Air

As long as the number of takeoffs and landings are equal, Bahamas Air is a good, safe airline :-)

9. Re: Bahamas Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera