We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer islands

Bushkill
Outer islands

I am planning a birthday trip for my husband at the end of May, we will be staying on Nassau. What Island is the best to visit for one day?

Long Island
1. Re: Outer islands

None really. At least I don't know of any day trips that would be worth your while. The Out Islands are destinations in themselves.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
2. Re: Outer islands

The majority of the folks on this forum would recommend that you skip Nassau and hit one of the out-islands, such as Exuma, Eleuthea, or Long Island. However, the out-islands are not for everyone (if you are looking for action)

Island hopping in the Bahamas is not easy and therefore typically not worth it. There is a day trip on a speed boat from Nassau to Exuma Cays. I think it's called Adventure Tours. The Exuma Cays include some of the most beautiful water and beaches in the world!

Bushkill
3. Re: Outer islands

Thanks

Nassau, New...
reviews: 42
4. Re: Outer islands

You could try taking the Bahamas Fast Ferry to Harbour Island for the day. it really is the most popular way to see something other than Nassau. But most islands really don't lend themselves to day trips and are more destinations in their own right.

That said, it is not impossible to take a morning flight to one of the islands, rent a car at the airport (best to call ahead and have one waiting), eplore the island, have lunch along the way and get back to the airport for an afternoon flight back to Nassau. It's a long day and you really only get a taste of things, but it is doable.

I have done this on a number of occasions where I have an event/meeting to attend and will fly out on a morning flight from Nassau and return home the same day. I've also done this as a "tourist" before, but in fairness, I live in the Bahamas and know most of the islands fairly well.

You don't say how much time you have, but if you have say, a week, then you could spend 4 nights in Nassau and 3 on an out island (or the other way around) For first time travellers, I usually recommend Abaco or Eleuthera, as they are a bit easier to get to and offer more infrastructure than the other islands, which are a bit more rustic or distant.

Bushkill
5. Re: Outer islands

Thank you, I think we will try your suggestion to harbor island.

6. Re: Outer islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island