We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing Island with kids

Nashua, Nh
reviews: 3
Help choosing Island with kids

Hi everyone...

Never been toany of the Islands.....

We want to take 2 kids with us (8)&(10).

They love tropical swimming pools with slides, and we are looking for beauty and a tropical paradise.

I understand that sometimes you cant get both with kid freindy places but looking for some ideas....

Anywhere in the Carribean....

Of course low crime and saftey always a concern...

Already know about the "Atlantis", with lots of bad reviews and high prices, not to sure ....seems like a trap......

thanks

Chris M

Gasport, New York
1. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

Hi Chris-

I think a lot depends on your kids. Can they swim without a lifejacket? Would they like a nice sandy beach on the ocean? (Do they really need a waterslide?)Will they be bored without TV and structured activities? Do they like to explore on their own? Cat island is a beautiful tropical paradise, but depending on your kids, they might not like it. If I were you, I'd email or call some of the resorts and ask them directly about keeping kids occupied. There are ample opportunities for fun, snorkeling, fishing, island exploration trips, etc. but you know your kids best.

I doubt you'll have a problem with crime on Cat Island.

If you want more specifics, just ask.....

Gasport, New York
2. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

Chris-

Check out www.bahamas.com/bahamas/index.aspx and click on Out Islands. Everything I've seen on that site is pretty honest. You'll get a pretty good idea of various islands and specific resorts.

Nashua, Nh
3. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

Thanks mrbob

The kids are fairly amusement/water park structured.... We've never taken them to a tropical setting, unless orlando is one.

Swimming is not a problem, no life jaxkets required......television is nice, foe bedtimes...

The older one can keep occupoied via book, and an avid book reader. The younger is a playstation geek.

All that aside, I think they would do ok, with some resort playground, or other activity. I've heart nice things about cat island though, and thought about that..... Lots of options for myself and spouse, but thats why i posted.....

Atlantis pulled me back in a little today, but still negative about that resort.....

What about Montego Bay, or something along those lines....

thanks again

Westfield...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

Sounds like your kids will be quite bored on Cat Island. Been going there last 5-6 years and it's great for peace and quiet and some exploring.

Indiana
reviews: 19
5. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

I hate to say it, but I think Atlantis is exactly what you're looking for. Our family spent a week this summer in the Exumas (Staniel Cay) and a few days at Atlantis over Christmas. Atlantis is like Sea World set on a beautiful island. The Exumas are the exact opposite! If the kids had to choose one over the other, Atlantis would win hands down. If the adults got to choose it would be the Exumas. Atlantis offers nonstop activity for the kids during the day. Your kids will love it, your wallet won't!

sc
reviews: 33
6. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

Have you thought of the One and Only on PI? You would be able to use the facilities at Atlantis and enjoy a smaller resort experience and it certainly qualifies as the tropical paradise you are looking for.

They have an excellent kids facility, golf lessons etc. there as well.

7. Re: Help choosing Island with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island