We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chartered Catamaran Help

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 5
Chartered Catamaran Help

We are looking to charter a catamaran to go through the Out islands of the Bahamas. Anyone do this, and can you recommend a good company. How many can they take?

Laurel, Maryland
reviews: 82
1. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

Sounds like you are looking for a crewed boat? "Bareboat" means that you run boat and must show the charter company you are qualified to do so; "crewed" comes with captain and chef; "captained" comes with just a captain. The only charter operations for multi-day trips are based in the Abacos, and I suspect that Moorings will be the only one which offers fully-crewed trips (though you may also want to look into Sail Abaco and Florida Yacht Charters). The capacity depends on the particular boat -- we've chartered catamarans anywhere from 32 feet (for 2) to 36 feet (for 5) to 42 feet (for a very luxurious 5 but could have taken more).

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
2. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

Thank you so much for the information. We are looking for a crewed catamaran. Did you go on a trip in the out islands ? if so how did you like it?

Laurel, Maryland
reviews: 82
3. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

I have chartered in the Abacos several times, as well as a number of land-based trips. I LOVE the Abacos as a sailing destination (and have enough to compare them with -- BVI, Grenadines, Grenada, Belize, the Chesepeake). I have my trip reports on my webpage at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html.

Since you are looking for a crewed boat, your best bet is the Moorings, followed by Florida Yacht Charters -- check out their websites as a starting point. Also, for independent crewed boats, you may want to use a charter broker such as Ed. Hamilton; that company will -- at no cost to you -- help you find the right arrangement, and typically considers companies like the Moorings.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
4. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

I will check into the Moorings, I did a fast scan of the web site this morning. There seems to be a problem with your web page I can't get on.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

North Palm Beach...
reviews: 21
5. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

As another option, you may also want to try "Cruise Abaco" -- it is captained by day and a bareboat by night (the captain gets picked up by his wife in a powerboat each evening so that you have privacy aboard at night).

Link is http://www.cruiseabaco.com/. They have a 30' catamaran and a 37' monohull available. The prices are much better than what the Moorings is charging, although the Moorings will have very nice and relatively new boats. We are booked for the monohull "Lokadune" in June -- I'll report back how it was!

North Palm Beach...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

Just an update on "Cruise Abaco" -- 2 of my girlfriends and I booked the 30' catamaran in early June for a long weekend and it was fantastic! I can't say enough good things about this operation and wish that TA had a section like they do for hotels and B&Bs to post photos and reviews for other cruise options, not just the big guys!

The "captained by day bareboat by night" concept was awesome and we still had the freedom of taking off in the dinghy when the captain left us anchored. Besides sailing there was time for a lot of great snorkeling too and the dinghy got us to many little cays, sandbars, and beaches -- loved that pink sand!

7. Re: Chartered Catamaran Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 04, 2009