We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creatures.....

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
reviews: 2
Creatures.....

We will be arriving in Freeport on May 1...(YIPPEE, can't wait!!!).

I do not like spiders, snakes etc....anything dangerous really.

Can everyone tell me WHAT is in the bahamas, what we may run into on Grand Bahama?

I know.....don't worry, but really...I just want to know what is there :-)

Thanks!

Grand Bahama Island
reviews: 7
1. Re: Creatures.....

I wonder if you really would run into anything besides a harmless curly tail... …webshots.com/9/…153093179DSgWgr_ph.jpg

In a hotel surrounding you should be pretty safe, if you like to pick up big rocks and go into mouldy damp places be careful of centipedes! …photobucket.com/albums/…centipede.jpg

Grand Bahama Island
reviews: 7
2. Re: Creatures.....

that first link should be: …webshots.com/9/…153093179DSgWgr_ph.jpg

reviews: 680
3. Re: Creatures.....

Not much dangerous on Grand Bahama. There are no poisonous snakes, just the usual suspects such as Brown Recluse and Black Widows, Poisonous Tree Frogs, Poison Wood Plants, jellyfish, sharks, stingrays, etc. But, the chances of you encountering any of these things in tourist areas are slim to none. Well, maybe a stray jellyfish, but nothing to worry about.

Relax and have a great time!

Vermont
4. Re: Creatures.....

LOL....J&H....too funny!

I'm relaxed...doubt I'll run into any recluses :-) I'll be sure to check my shoes though...LOL

I swam with jelly's last summer...no biggie here, they don't bother me...got stung a couple of times, but hey....we were having a blast tubing....and they were really little jellies :-)

Sharks on the other hand....well....I'll admit, that has me a little leery...however, I'll just not swim at dusk/night.....:-)

Thanks!!!

Vermont
5. Re: Creatures.....

Dapotcake...

I couldn't open the curly tail :-)

Centipede was sort of cute...NOT :-)

Funny...up here in the hills, there is nothing...yeah, spiders, snakes etc, but they are ALL harmless...some rattlers, but you don't see them, I'm 35 and have NEVER come across one.....

Seen a few bears....that is about it :-)

Vermont
6. Re: Creatures.....

That should have been J&S....sorry guys :-) Typing too fast.......it's finally 50 degrees and it's like a heat wave here...has us all flustered I guess......:-)

Charlottesville, VA
reviews: 20
7. Re: Creatures.....

I have a healthy fear of the un-known critters in different places too. Especially sharks, however...if you go in the water well then....thats their home. If you do research online you will find a mix of information that will either over excite you or scare the hell out of you! There have been attacks in the Bahamas, but also on North Carolina coast, Florida etc... If you are chosen as the statistic then there really isn't much you can do. Remember the standard things: Don't swim at dust (especially around reefs), do not wear jewelry while swimming (barracuda love it), don't swim out around fishing peers or fishing boats (a shark can smell blood several miles away) or swim while on your period (assuming your a woman). Or if you are paralized with the thought of a shark or barracuda bite don't go in the water at all but what kind of trip would that be??? Try to relax. There aren't any box jellies to worry about (those jellies kill in seconds) they are in Australia and New Zealand I think. Be aware of your surroundings and try to enjoy yourself.

As far as spiders and snakes just check your shoes for the eight legged little monsters before putting them on. Shake your clothes out before putting them on and as far as snakes go...well the odds are very slim of running into any of those.

I go into panic just thinking about it but hey, I drive a car to work everyday in traffic...what could be more dangerous than that?

Charlottesville, VA
reviews: 20
8. Re: Creatures.....

Oops...go ahead swim at DUST but not at Dusk! Geeze my typing skills are bad!!!

sc
reviews: 33
9. Re: Creatures.....

We've lived here for a while and I've never seen a snake ( keeping my fingers crossed now for the future) just cockroaches, lizards ( harmless) and the occ. curly tail, oh yes once in a while those horrid centipedes that my cats drag in. I need my granite block to kill em, they have very hard shells.

The only thing that has bitten me is the tomato worm in my garden!

10. Re: Creatures.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 24, 2009