We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace - Paradise Island, Bahamas

Amarillo, Texas
reviews: 2
Riu Palace - Paradise Island, Bahamas

Was the Riu Palace Hotel in the Bahamas hit by Hurricane Sandy? We are traveling to the Riu November 18th, just want to make sure everything is okay???

Westchester, Ny
reviews: 9
1. Re: Riu Palace - Paradise Island, Bahamas

I was there last October as Sandy first Hit the Bahamas, and then met her as I got back in New York. The Hotel handled everything as well as could be expected. They boarded up all the windows and if you didn't notice the heavy winds outside, inside the hotel everything was normal. As they winds would pick up, we were on lockdown. They did the best they could to keep everyone safe. We were on the 8th floor, sometimes you could feel the hotel sway a little. The only thing they should have had Bingo or some games going on, you can only watch so much TV. And the airlines should have kept the travelers more informed of all the cancellations. But that had nothing to do with the hotel. Otherwise, the only damage we saw was outside the hotel, alot of palm trees were down along the road going to the hotel. Which I'm sure is taken care of by now. When the winds weren't too bad, we were allowed to cross over the the Atlantis, so we went over and gambled a little. They had a lot going on for kids. Tables of lego for them to build things,. When we were inside the Atlantis, you would never know there was a storm going on outside. I think you will be okay as long as there are no storms this year. They have a nice beach at the RUI, the pool is a little small compared to other hotels. I thought the food was good. I've stayed there twice. They have fresh baked donuts at breakfast every day. They were so good! The drinks were okay, a little too sweet. But that seems to be how it is on the Islands these days. Definitely book the restaurants, they were excellent. The steak on was okay, but we live in New York and have steak alot at home. I liked the fact that the shopping area was in walking distance. Even if you don't want to shop, you can walk around the area. It can be confining sometimes at the RUI. But with the Atalantis next door, you have another place to go. They have a comedy show at the Atlantis which was good too. I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Valley Stream, NY
reviews: 33
2. Re: Riu Palace - Paradise Island, Bahamas

Good info, but the OP went already, last year's post :)

3. Re: Riu Palace - Paradise Island, Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 23, 2014