We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones/Calling Cards

Tacoma, WA
Cell Phones/Calling Cards

I was just informed that you cannot use calling cards at all anwhere in the Bahamas. Also heard cell phones don't work either. Going to the Atlantis next month and was wondering how to call home.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
reviews: 35
1. Re: Cell Phones/Calling Cards

Pick up a Batelco Calling Card at the souvenier shop or Pharmacy either at Atlantis or nearby. Use it from a pay phone. Calling from your room will cost you a bundle, even with the card. Cards come in denominations of $5, $10 and $20 and run about $1 per minute

ATT Phones with GSM service work in some areas of Downtown Nassau and Paradise Island, but the service charges are quite expensive. Better to just get a calling card.

New Jersey
2. Re: Cell Phones/Calling Cards

I have a trip scheduled in July, and use Verizon Wireless. I called them and they said that if you notify them in advance, they do something and you can make outgoing calls only, but cannot receive incoming calls. They said this is due to phone fraud. I also read on some bahamas tourism web site that there is some phone number people must call first, they get a dialtone, then they dial your number and you can receive calls. Also, you can buy phone cards there to use it said. I am doing more investigating to see if this is all true.

CINCINNATI
3. Re: Cell Phones/Calling Cards

if anyone finds out what cell phones work in the bahamas please advise us. i know that there are some, but i have verizon and it has never worked there.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
reviews: 35
4. Re: Cell Phones/Calling Cards

My Nec 515 GSM phone works fine with ATT Service but the back charges from the bahamas are steep (over a dollar a mintue gets billed a month or two down the road.

My verizon phones, Nokia, Samsung, Bell Atlantic (I've had several over the years) didn't work except an old Qualcomm analog which only worked if I was sitting at the Atlantis Marina. (I could only call out, no incoming calls)

The bahamas has recently changed to GSM.

Boston, MA
5. Re: Cell Phones/Calling Cards

As posted on this site previously - I have Cingular (my phone is GSM and it's Motorola V220) they have assured me the phone will work. The cost is $1.99 per minute, but at least it's a local call for the people back in the US. I will call them again before I leave in April, and will report back on this board after my return.