We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring by Jeep?

Which Paradise Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Touring by Jeep?

Hello,

My family of four would like to rent a jeep & tour the islands? Any advice on what to do? Beaches to visit? Place to rent a jeep? Places to eat( kids are 10 & 13)? Any suggestions/ advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ruth

New Jersey
1. Re: Touring by Jeep?

Be extremely careful if you rent you own car!!! They drive on the other side of the street there even going around a "jug handle" it is the opposit... very fast pace driving...Almost got creamated crossing the street there.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
reviews: 35
2. Re: Touring by Jeep?

Don't know of anywhere that even rents a jeep in Nassau, but I don't recommend renting a car at all on the island. Transportation is very easy with jitneys, ferries, and cabs, and most things you want to see are within walking distance or have some form of transportation included. You can take a $1 jitney to Ardastra Gardens, walk to the forts, queens staircase, water tower, pirates museum, arawak cay and much more.

Driving in the bahamas is crazy, the locals drive like maniacs, and they drive on the left with lots of roundabout, no lights, no signs and for the most parts street that are in ill repair. Cars get broken into on a regular basis when not in the tourist areas, so I wouldn't recommend driving to the non-tourist areas and leaving your car to walk a beach etc.

Take a jitney to sightsee, grab a cab or a guide from downtown for a few buck.

As for places to eat, there are many, Downtown, the kids will like Conch Fritters, senor frogs, Iguana for lunch, and the Fish fry at Arawak Cay. On Paradise Island, Anthony's Grill or catch the Limbo show at the Blue Marlin. At Cable Beach, Cafe Johnny Canoes is great, especially on the weekend when they have the Junkanoo band rushout.

Have fun!

New Jersey
3. Re: Touring by Jeep?

Scubagirl,

Thank you for advice---we were not worried about driving on left side as we have done this in St Thomas & Bermuda. What concerns me now is safety for family--Is it so bad on island that we could get ourselves into trouble?

How would we get from PI to Ardastra Gardens & other things we want to do--What is Jitney?

Thanks Ruth

Ashburn, VA
reviews: 15
4. Re: Touring by Jeep?

The 'jitney' is the bus that travels all over the island, but not to PI. From PI you would either take a cab to Ardasta (maybe $20) take the ferry to Nassau ($3) and then a $1 Jitney ($1 everywhere you go) or a cab to Nassau and then the Jitney. Whatever fits your budget best!

Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island