We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 86
Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

My parents went to a place called "the emerald beach hotel" in the sixties on their honeymoon. We would like to send them back, but I can't find the place! Is it gone? Renamed?? Thanks ahead of time.

L.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
reviews: 14
1. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

Doc:

I know I have seen this question before, but did not know where a reply could be found. However, after looking through all my Bahamas books I found that the Emerald Beach Hotel had 213 rooms and was opened in 1954. In 1974 it was bought by the Government and the Hotel Corporation of the Bahamas ran it, along with 2 other hotels.

By a process of elimination it is not the present Sandals, nor is it the Nassau Beach. I think it was situated either where Breezes is today or it was part of where the Wyndham is.

That's all I could find - but it was definitely on Cable Beach.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
2. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

I got this info from a 1993 Birnbaum's Bahamas Book.

It tells me that the Ambassador Beach Hotel is now Breezes, and the Emerald Beach Hotel was built on part of what is now the Wyndham.

NY
reviews: 86
3. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

thanks so much for the info!!!! looks like the wyndham it is!

Bahamas
4. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

Doclor ~ the Emerald beach was a charming, really charming hotel. It was secluded, smallish and had a fantastic beach. Since it was torn down, so many other big hotels have sprung up, none of them with any beach to speak of ~ and there is a lot of cement around. There are horrible, tall purple buildings that just makes you want to cry at what they've done to that stretch

I don't mean to sway you, (and I think it's wonderful what you are doing for your parents) but for the sake returning to a "particular area, where once there was this hotel" ~ I wonder if perhaps your parents would be just as happy to merely the "return to the island" where the have happy memories, and stay at a more quaint hotel? The Wyndham, is big and busy. Just a thought ........

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
5. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

Soames

You are so right. For me just being in the Bahamas is good.

Perhaps they would like somewhere such as the newly reopened Compass Point or A Stone Throws Away.

Bahamas
reviews: 1
6. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

wow....., this is amazing to me, that someone actually remembered this place because my father worked at the Emerald Beach Hotel, that was such a nice place i was about 6 years old and he always took us there during the summer holidays and now i am a few months from 30 so u do the math. the atmosphere was unimaginable and i kno your parents enjoyed thier stay when they were there. Well it's unfortunate that the hotel no longer exist and things look totally different from it did on the cable Beach strip now than back then, hopefully thier fond memories is enough to make up for the now Wyndham Resort that is presently there.

Tampa, Fl
reviews: 16
7. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

I have been frequenting the Bahamas since I was a kid back in the early 70's. The island has gone through many changes...some for the good some for the not so good. IMO Cable Beach is nothing like it used to be and will most likely be a disappointment if are comparing to days long gone by.

sc
reviews: 30
8. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

My parents to used to stay there as well and I got to know a girl whose dad used to run the place- small world isnt it?

My dad still has his home movies of the beach and the straw market etc..

My parents were less than thrilled with the way Nassau had been developed over the years when they revisited about 3 years ago.

For your parents, I would look into booking them into a similiar hotel( in size etc) on one of the family islands where the setting is more what they would remember from their former vacations.

Connecticut
9. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

We stayed at the Emerald Beach when we were teenagers, on a trip with our parents. It had a Horse Raceing track across the street and we got to ride some of the horses...it was off season.

Every night you would have the same waiter, whom was assigned to you. It was so much more personal that way, and by the end of the trip everyone knew who was who.

The good old days...

So sad that section of the island has changed soooo much.

On the past 2 trips we took to Nassau, we thought the section that has no buildings and is just a lot is where it was located. The race track is also long gone, but you can see where it was across the street.

It was like a lush grotto of trees and was beautifully upkept.

I can still remember the beach and sound of steel drums that would play by noon every day.

It was a beautiful place...at least we have some pictures to remember it by!

I say make some new memories for your parents...it's never too late for that!

Hope they have a wonderful trip, whatever you plan for them.

Bahamas
reviews: 1
10. Re: Anybody know what happneed to the "Emerald Beach hotel"

ok, i just wanna kno what happened to the well known people i knew at the hotel during the 80's like the Bartenders "Bushcrack" and "Harry" people like Mr. lover himself that would have all the women swarming him "David" then the beach attendant "Dave" and everyone knew my dad the pool and beach attendant "Ralph" AKA "Ralphy"love you daddy......