We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port day at Nassau

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Port day at Nassau

Our group of 8 will be at Nassau in December with cruise. We don't want to go to Atlantics, too expensive. Any other suggestions to spend for about 8 hrs?

Rockford, Illinois
reviews: 1
1. Re: Port day at Nassau

If its your first time in Nassau and your into island history, you can take the city tour usually available on cruise ship excursions- it will show you the whole city with history tidbits here and there, the Queens staircase, and the Fort (which I hear has a very lovely restaurant in it now). We also have done the pirate museum which is pretty cool if your into that kind of stuff. If expense in not an issue then Atlantis is always fun but even if money is tight you can usually visit any of the Paradise Island beaches for low cost with lunch. Have fun!

Danielsville...
2. Re: Port day at Nassau

My family of four just returned from a Carnival cruise that ported for a day in Nassau. We took the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter excursion and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! The dolphin encounter was lovely (water is VERY cold, though.... I saw racks of wet suits and have since seen online that the wet suits are loaned for free... take them up on it, if so).

Afterwards, we spent time at the beach; the lagoon side has numerous inflatables that looked like a lot of fun; the opposite side is a GORGEOUS beach area. They also have numerous hammocks under the palms. Can't wait to go back!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
reviews: 159
3. Re: Port day at Nassau

I was there last week. 5 Ships in Port. That is over 15 thousand people! Walk along Market street, the main shopping area. Also the "Straw" Market. If you get off the ship there are plenty of tour companies that will charge a lot less than what you wil pay on ship. Happy travels!

Palmyra...
4. Re: Port day at Nassau

Downtown Nassau has lots to keep you busy. Two places that you'd want to check out is The Pirates of Nassau Museum and the National Art Gallery bahamasyellowpages.com/results.php… You can experience a Bahamian lunch at The Imperial Take-A-Way two or three doors down from Dunkin Donuts. There is also a beach going west on bay street past the Hilton hotel.

Toronto
5. Re: Port day at Nassau

Appreciated for all your reply.

Doraville, Georgia
6. Re: Port day at Nassau

Can't speak from experience YET. But we signed up for this cultural exchange program in Nassau....

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/people-people

They match you up with a "host" for the day, to show you around "Locals Style".

Our host called the other day, and we decided together that we would like to join her family for their church service this Sunday, then have lunch together.....More of a cultural than religious thing for us. But we are very excited to be doing something different than the "ordinary" tourist stuff!

North Brunswick...
reviews: 46
7. Re: Port day at Nassau

ATLMichelle62, that sounds like a really interesting program! I just stumbled upon this thread looking for activities on my port day in Nassau. I don't really want to do any of the private beaches and I was looking for something that would include more of the Bahamanian culture. When is/was your trip? How was the People-To-People experience?

Doraville, Georgia
8. Re: Port day at Nassau

Our December 2012 cruise stop in Nassau, hosted by MS. KAYLA SMITH was the absolute highlight of our trip! It took a few follow-up calls to the Ministry of Tourism to get matched up with someone. But Kayla called me the week before our Sunday visit to Nassau to make some plans, and apologize that she would not be available until after Church. After immediately hitting it off with her over the phone, I asked if my (Jewish) boyfriend David and I could just come to church with her?

She loved that idea, and arranged for her Church Bus to pick us up at the port. We were made to feel very welcome at the vibrant Christian service with singing, dancing, and humor. Of course this was more of a cultural than religious experience for us. And everyone we met was very understanding and respectful.

After church, we met Ms. Kayla's extended family and had a wonderful island lunch together in the Fish Fry district. Her niece then delivered us back to the port to continue our journey, and tell our shipboard friends about our anything-but-typical day in The Bahamas.

Michelle & David

Atlanta GA, USA

9. Re: Port day at Nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 21, 2014