We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Which Nassau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 3
Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

When I was a child, in 1968, we stayed at The Montague Beach Hotel in Nassau. I have such fond memories & would love to go back. Does anyone know this hotel & if it still operates under a new name? I would be very grateful for any unfo. Thanks & cheers!

sc
reviews: 33
1. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

when i brought my parents here after an absence of 30 years they were astonished by the changes and the Montagu was one of those that was torn down. There is a sort of park and fish market there now between the Yacht and Sailing Clubs but it is pretty ramshackle it could be so much nicer.

Toronto
2. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Thank you Rosiesc for you fast response. I am so sorry to hear that it is gone. My memories are of such a grand place & a house band called The Montegu 3 + 1 that was so good. I also remember the straw market and an old fort.

Barrie, Ont
reviews: 15
3. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

We stayed at the Glen Eagles nearby circa 1970 and dined at the Montague frequently. I can`t say that I would have any desire to return to that area now though.

sc
reviews: 33
4. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

well the fort is still there!!

I was intrigued by your question and I actually found some old postcards on ebay, it looked like a grand hotel. I think the only one my parents recognized was the Club Med (which is on the chopping block ) and the British Colonial downtown which was redone to its orginal elegance.

Vancouver BC
5. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Wow - you take me back

I worked at The Montegu Beach Hotel in 1963,4,5

I was looking up some Calypso references today and thoght about The Montague Three (later plus 1),

I was in Nassau in 1997 - the hotel was demolished.

Thanks for the memories.

I'm in Delta, near Vancouver BC

Mike

West Palm Beach...
6. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Then you probably remember my mother and father, Danny Dillon and Frances Dwight. They did the mermaid show from the lower bar. Mother swam, father MC'd. He also entertained in the nightclub.

Sad to see so many of the hotels I lived in, including Montague, have been torn down - Montague, Castle Harbour in Bermuda, Nassau Beach Hotel is still standing I guess, but not for long.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
reviews: 16
7. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Mike8263

Walked by the Nassau Beach Hotel on the beach side the other day and it is decaying fast. Unless they do something to it PDQ it will be falling down, to say nothing of the potential for insects, rodents and small animals taking up residence.

Toronto
8. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Hi Mike,

As a matter of fact I do remember the mermaid show! I had forgotten. It was wonderful. I also remember a honeymooning couple who didn't know about the lower bar and put on quite a show too! They were scarlet later that night when they came in for a drink & saw the "window". Thank you for sharing!

Toronto
9. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

TrumpetMike - I can still remember the song "Woe is me, shame & scandal in the family - the girl is your sister but your Daddy don't know.

Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
reviews: 16
10. Re: Does anyone remember the Montague Beach Hotel

Kkate - you can still hear that song. We first heard it back in the mid to late 1980s and the last time was on one of our vacations to the Bahamas in 2007.