We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Which Bahamas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

This is my.and bf first cruise, i'm so confussed about the onboard entertainment and excursion! when we get to the freeport are they going to kick us out the boat? Do we have to go offshore?? And in the bahamas?? What.if we want to do a excursion... Do anyone know a website or booking agent that can get us a better dea... Cuz OMG the cruise line prices are.hmmm a little on the expencise side... Can.anyone help us??

16 replies to this topic
Nassau, New...
reviews: 42
1. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Cruising can be overwhelming for first-time cruisers, so you're not alone with your questions. In order for us to better help you, can you tell us what cruise line and ship you are sailing on and when?

Generally, you do not have to leave the ship at ports of call -- unless you are travelling on a ferry type boat. But a regular cruise ship that begins and ends in a port other than the one you have stopped in, you do not have to get off the ship. In fact, many people stay on board and take advantage of lower prices in the spa and shops that offer great specials on port days.

As for excursions, yes, they can be more expensive when offered by the cruise line, but at the same time, if the excursion is late, delayed or unavailable, it is the cruise line's responsibility to get you back to the ship or your fee refunded. And if you are late on a ship excursion, they will wait for you. If you go on your own and are late, the ship will sail without you. So something to think about.

So, let us know which ship you are on and the dates of sailing, and I'm sure you will get lots of helpful advice from TA forum members. Another helpful website to use is www.cruisecritics.com They are specifically for cruises with message boards similar to TA.

2. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Thank you for the quick responce, we will be in the carnival sensation from september 8th to 12th. Hope i can get a few more advises!

Nassau, New...
reviews: 42
3. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Your 4 day cruise stops at both Freeport, Bahamas and Nassau, Bahamas. The ship arrives at both ports at 8am and leaves at 5pm. Typically, you will be able to leave the ship 1/2 hour after they have docked, and must be back on board an hour before saiing (4pm) Of course, if you take a cruise offered excursion, the ship will wait for you to get back -- otherwise, you are on your own.

That said, I'm not sure where the ships dock in Freeport, so someone else will able to help you out there, I'm sure. But in Nassau, you will be able to walk right off the boat into downtown Nassau. The main street (Bay St) is lined with shops and restaurants as well as the famous straw market that is a great place to pick up a few souvenirs of your trip. If you want to save a few dollars, you can take your towel, sunscreen and hat and walk about 15 minutes or less west of downtown to Junkanoo Beach. It's a public beach popular with the cruise crowd. There are vendors there, and you can swim or lounge on the beach. It's a pretty lively atmosphere and within sight of the ship, so easy enough to get back in time. Or you can spend a few extra dollars and get a beach pass to one of the local hotels.

And a correction on the cruise message board I sent you to earlier -- it is www.cruisecritic.com

Don't worry, once you get on board, you will soon find your way around and enjoy all the ship has to offer. Generally, you will find that the main dining room and s fwe other venues are all included in your cruise fares, as is 24 hour room service. Some restaurants may require a surcharge, but there is ample food if you don't want to go to these places. Every night there will be shows and music that is also included. Each night, you will get a program listing the following day's activities and news, so you can plan your day ahead of time. Lots going on, so don't even think about trying to do it all. It's your vacation, so do as much or as little as you want.

Beverages are expensive on board, so you unless you have a taste for iced tea, tap water, or tea/coffee, and some joices in the mornings, that are included in your fare, you will spend money on sodas, bottled water, alcohol, beer, wine, etc. That's where they make their money (and why the cruise fares seem so cheap) You are not allowed to bring alcohol on board -- they will take it from you. (You can buy duty free in the ports, and they will take it from you, but deliver it all to your cabin the night before you arrive back in Port Canaveral. However, you can bring sodas and bottled water on board, and usually have a mini fridge in your cabin to store them in.

And no, you absolutely do not have to leave the ship in either Freeport or Nassau. If you want to stay on board (and many people do), no one will think twice. Some people go ashore for a few hours, then go back on board for lunch, then go back ashore again. Again, it's all easy, so don't sweat about the details -- just enjoy your cruise! .

Nassau, New...
4. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

There are lots of great excursions for you to do during your hours in port in both Nassau and Freeport. You're right - if you book directly with the excursion you can often pay a lot less than booking through your cruise ship.

How many of you are there? Would you like to do a boat trip with beaching and snorkeling, or something on land?

Florida
reviews: 62
5. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Cruise Critic has a WEALTH of information.

When we stopped in Nassau we went to the Hilton for the day. It was just a few minutes walk from the port. We got a day pass and if I remember correctly it was $50 per person and that included I think $30 towards food and drinks. We had a very relaxing time.

6. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Hello it will be me and my bf, no snorkling we don't scuba, maybe an ATV ride and nost def beach time, i want beautiful light blue water... Hope i was clear lol

7. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Thxs Dusty your post was really healpfull

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 78
8. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

A few years ago we did a Disney cruise on the Disney Wonder, calling into Nassau. The ship berth area is right near town and it's an easy walk from the vessels up into Town. Easy! I recall that you didn't have to leave the ship, but don't miss a walk around Nassau. It's a charming place. Enjoy!

Nassau, New...
9. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Hi Annyjmm - for the beautiful light blue water I'd suggest going on a boat trip out to Rose Island for your day in Nassau - you'll be blown away by the colors of the water & also the beautiful beaches at Rose!

There are 3 companies I'd recommend you look into, if you decide to do this - Flying Cloud Cruises, Barefoot Sailing Cruises & Sandy Toes. Their schedules may vary but one of them should be available the day you're in Nassau & do tell them your ship departure time, but they all work routinely with cruise ship guests, so would be quite able to have you back in time.

Then you can do something else off your list (like the ATVs, if they have them) ashore on your Freeport day.

Happy Planning!

Nassau, New...
10. Re: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help

Hello there,

Im Ms Vickers I work from the Nassau Port, as said before you can walk right from the Ship outside the ship Terminal and be right in the middle of downtown Nassau before you get there, immediately after exiting the ship you would be approached by Tour Guides that want to take you on a Sightseeing Tour which is an excellent way to see the history and culture of the Bahamas, including with that you will have time to be dropped off at the Beach on Paradise Is Basically where everyone off the cruise ship goes its called Cabbage Beach and get a taxi Back for Four Dollars each person. If you decide that you don't want to do the Tour you dont have to you can go directly to the Beach at four dollars each way eight dollars round trip. on the beach you will find food drinks water sports lounge chairs and umbrellas at an additional cost. beside that there are a host of excursions you can do. u just have to know exactly what it is you want to do and we can help with the info

Reply to: my 1st carnival cruise.. please help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted