We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, Caneel Experts!

Which Caneel Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 16
Ok, Caneel Experts!

After living on island and vacationing at least once a year for the past 10 years, we are finally staying at Caneel in April.

I am giddy about this new STJ adventure and want to be sure that we make the most of our one time visit. It is very unlikely that we will stay again as this is a big celebration and double what we normally spend for vacation.

Tell me what I need to know. Any tips that most people might not know?

We are staying Premium beachfront and will likely be dining in town for dinners, with the exception of Zozo's. We do have breakfast included.

Thanks!!

24 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, New...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Walk or jog "Mary's Trail" daily. It is a special and spiritually rejuvenating place.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
2. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Oh Donald, JOG? I am not sure I cn manage a jog on vacation :)

NY metro
reviews: 3
3. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

I have found the snorkeling on the left side (as you face the water) of Hawksnest to be reasonably good. Lots of turtles in the grass there as well.

The extreme right side ( as you face the water) of Turtle Bay Beach is very quiet.

Seek out Top Dog (maintenance dept) and bring him a cigar.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 14
4. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

A tip I learned from another guest riding the Caneel ferry - ask for an empty fridge in your room. We grab a few bottles of wine from that little store at the airport and then go to town after breakfast the first day to stock up. Granted, our stays were always in the summer but that drink cart didn't come around regularly enough to suit me.

If you have a decent amount of time between your arrival and the next Caneel ferry, ask them to take you downtown right away rather than sitting in the airport lounge. (this assumes the ferry is departing from downtown, some leave out of Red Hook.)

If you would like breakfast in your room, you can swap the buffet for a picnic style basket with pastries, fruit, coffee, juices, etc.

The picnic lunches you can order are pretty good.

The manager's reception is worthwhile.

Corydon, Indiana
5. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Sunset Cocktail Cruise. My husband's favorite activity and one we never miss. Steel drums and 'appetizers," which are enough that we usually skip dinner that night or pick up a snack in the bar.

Also, if it's still open, go to Turtle Bay once for dinner. Go to an event, either tea or the manger's reception at Turtle Bay. An incredible setting and view.

Go to all the beaches. They are all a little different. Our favorite snorkel is from little Caneel around the point to Honeymoon.

Walk the property, at least once, including the Mary's Trail as previously mentioned. The plants and flowers are incredible.

Relax. One of the reasons we love Caneel is that we don't have to go running around to go to the beach. It's a much more peaceful experience. You have been to the other beaches on the island, so experience these.

Have a wonderful time.

Holland, MI
reviews: 2
6. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Definitely request a refrig in your room. Other than that, just relax and enjoy. I promise you will be back. Caneel is fabulous.

Easton, Connecticut
reviews: 3
7. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Make your reservations for ZoZo's before you arrive. We just got back from a holiday trip to Caneel and those guests who waited until they arrived to make the reservations were often not able to get the day/time requested.

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 15
8. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

I second the others who have said to request a fridge. I believe the resort gave us a bottle of champagne and a bottle of rum upon arrival, so it was nice to keep them cold along with the other drinks/snacks we brought. Caneel provides you with a cooler and if you set the cooler outside your door every night, they will fill it up with ice the next morning. We didnt figure that out until a few days into our stay. Scott beach was our favorite. Snorkel gear is complimentary at the hut on the beach by the front desk area. Shuttles run frequently, though we never used them because we loved walking and admiring the property. I can't think of anything else. Enjoy! It's been almost 2 years since we stayed at Caneel and I look forward to our return!

Dallas, TX
9. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Tink, what the frangipani? You're staying at Cccccaneel? How ccccccould you? You're one of them now aren't you?. They won't love you like we villa people do. No, see, they'll make fun of your shoes behind your back and question your life choices at the extreme breakfast buffet. Sure, they've got nicer towels and deer that poop on command in litter boxes, but just remember, the grass is always greener on other side of the fence (probably because Caneel has its own rain water catchment system).

Have a good trip. Send me a piece of gold plated bacon.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
10. Re: Ok, Caneel Experts!

Oh 54b! You are too funny.

Reply to: Ok, Caneel Experts!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted