We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caneel no longer Rosewood

richmond
4 posts
caneel no longer Rosewood

Anyone know why Caneel is no longer going to be a Rosewood managed resort when they reopen?

NY metro
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

Can you provide a link or more information? None of the sites (Caneel's or Rosewood's) refer to this and still show being under the Rosewood flag. Google is not being helpful either.

However, hotels and resorts "switch flags" all the time. Before Caneel was managed by Rosewood--who in turn was acquired by New World and took the Rosewood name--it was a Rockresort and had ties to Loews Hotels, along with the Mauna Kea (now a Prince hotel), and Little Dix among one or three others.

Oh well, The only thing constant in this world is change.

Edited: 6:49 pm, August 29, 2013
richmond
4 posts
2. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

It was in the St John Tradewinds newspaper.

NY metro
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

Thank You

stjohntradewindsnews.com/index.php/592-news/…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

I remember when it was a Rockresort, I still have the Rockresort brochures from when we were planning our honeymoon.

I don't know how I feel about this change. When we were there in February, I noticed a huge improvement in service. We have been going to Caneel since 1995, I love the resort and STJ and I get "island time" but was it a nice change to see.

If the current management stays, it might be a good thing.

Norfolk, Virginia
2 posts
5. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

Very complicated answer. A key figure from Rockafeller days dies, a new lease is being offered for operation of Caneel and Congress is allowing it to be a non-compettive lease. One wonders.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

I'm confused. What does the death of a member of the Rockefeller family have to do with the lease between the Federal government and the present lessee and why would a lease renewal between the parties have to be put out to bid?

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm…

Public Law 111-261 is the determining factor here - it allows the NPS to enter into a new lease under the conditions mentioned.

new york
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

It is going to under Leading Hotels.

NY metro
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

If it is Leading Hotels of the World then that seems to be one of a host of reservation agents.Similar to Orbitz or Hotels.com. It handles a bunch of luxury indies and others. Google turns up nothing as al the sites still refer to Rosewood.

Edited: 9:29 am, October 08, 2013
10. Re: caneel no longer Rosewood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 10, 2014