We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sad changes at Caneel

Melbourne, Florida
Sad changes at Caneel

We love Caneel, but sad about changes we just saw at Caneel. A new beach hut (trips, equipment, etc) blocking the wonderful view next to the seating area by reception. A concession stand on Honeymoon to sell chairs, kayaks, water, etc. A table set up by reception for a convention. Also, I was told Caneel staff would not be serving at Sugar Mill for Zozo's. I don't know if we will go stay there again.

NY metro
reviews: 3
1. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

Whew!

The Watersports beach hut was there when I was there last January. I didn't find it in the way at all. I moved closer to the bar area for my view and it was not obstructive during breakfast.

Honeymoon is old news also. We never used it due to the preponderance of daytrippers.and the longer walk to use it, but pass it on our hikes to town.

A convention hospitality table? Well, it is a hotel and any DOC worth his or her salt will try to sell room blocks during the slower season. I have been there during times with large groups in attendance also. With only 160 rooms or so; It didn't bother me. Its not as if I'm in the middle of ComicCon or CES in Vegas.

ZoZo's is a concessionaire. Having their own staff is part of the deal. Having Turtle Bay Estate House compete for dining dollars with ZoZo's seems like it may improve both venues. Even better if ZoZo's is eligible for the meal plan. But that's okay if it is not. I'll just make my reservations for two nights through the concierge or call ZoZo's directly.

YMMV, but I never cared for the Sugar Mill/Equator anyway. Two meals, two duds. So I am excited and pleased that ZoZo's is taking over.

Like I said YMMV. The only thing constant in this world is change.

Melbourne, Florida
2. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

You are right about change. With these changes, and $500/night for a one room in slow season, we feel it is time to go to a villa. We will go back for a day---to see some cherished staff.

St. John
reviews: 4
3. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

Silverslides

Oma totally different subject matter, I just noticed you are from Melbourne Fl. That's where I am from ( until I moved to St. John!)

Hubby is still there downsizing everything for the move here!! Small world!!

Pennsylvania
reviews: 16
4. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

We are big fans of Caneel and have split our STJ trips between Caneel and villas. Even when we stay in a villa, we visit Caneel several times to eat at the restaurants.

That being said, we have avoided the Sugar Mill for the past several trips. Our last visit was not great. I "get" STJ, the island attitude, how to be polite and so on but that night, service was very poor. We were ignored in a way that went FAR beyond "island time." We checked the menu the past two trips and it didn't interest us enough to give it another try.

We dined at Caneel times in February and one thing that stood out was that there was a group of new employees (some appeared to be management level) that were sprinting around to make sure people were being serviced in a timely manner.

I think Zozo's will be a good addition to the resort and we look forward to dining there in February.

Boston
reviews: 15
5. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

We stayed at Caneel many times and loved it. One year we decided to do a Bordeaux hillside villa with views of several islands, cool breezes, a hot tub and our own cheaply purchased rum and personally made STIFF drinks. Oh--and at a fraction of the cost....

We drive by Caneel-----every once in a while we go in for a salad a lunch and walk around.

We are good.....

Austin
reviews: 4
6. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

The Honeymoon beach concession stand was being built last summer when we were there. It seemed rather unnecessary for the Caneel guests but perhaps they want to encourage more to take advantage of that beach? It was a bit of a haul slogging all our towels and snorkel equipment and then having nothing but tree limbs and sand for furniture. I never thought it was that overrun with other tourists, but we've only been in the summer months.

But can someone please explain the Sugar Mill/Equator and ZoZo business? Are you saying that Caneel's ktichen will no longer be responsible for any food/drink that is served at the Sugar Mill restaurant? But it will still remain open in low season and still be a part of the Caneel experience? When we were there last July, we dined there once and had a very enjoyable time. Liked the choices and the prep and presentation were fine. Prices are high but aren't they always. We've never dined at ZoZo although I've read posts on the forum about its food and service. The only issue we had at the Sugar Mill last trip was from a sudden downpour with wind blowing the rain far into the seating from the south. Many folks had to pick up and move their own chairs and tables. However, staff did get in the game when they saw how badly the guests, and the food on the tables, were getting soaked. By the end of the table rearranging, we were all quite friendly :)

East End
7. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

Sad news?

I think Zozo's at Caneel is

great news for the resort.

And for ZoZo's.

Embrace the Change.

Sloop

8. Re: Sad changes at Caneel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 12, 2014