We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

Which Caneel Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

So we've been to St. John three times in 8 years and due to all kinds of unforeseen circumstances, we've missed going to the BVIs, and VGorda specifically, all 3 times. Already planning trip #4 and we've decided to do our own day trip by taking the public ferry from Cruz Bay to VG and using taxis to take us to The Baths, to eat lunch, etc. since the Baths is on our family bucket list.

Questions:

1. has the ferry schedule changed much over the years, or can we plan now that the ferry will travel to VG on the same days next summer that its schedule currently reflects?

2. will minor weather issues that stop a private boat charter affect the ferry?

3. I'm assuming that taxis from the ferry dock in VG are easy to find. But how difficult will it be to locate a place after we leave the Baths to find a taxi? are there places within walking distance of the Baths, like restaurants and shops?

4. is there a good map of the island, that shows the ferry dock and the location of the Baths and nearby beaches as well as businesses in the area?

From what I understand, we'll have about 5 hours total between the arriving ferry and the departing ride back to St. John. If all we want to do is hang out at the Baths/beach and then cool off with drinks and lunch before catching the ferry back, is this an easy day?

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Illinois
reviews: 36
1. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

1. I haven't noticed a change in schedule for years

2. outside of severe weather ferry will run

3. no problem. taxis will be waiting at the top of the baths

4. we never needed a map because we used taxi

Illinois
reviews: 36
2. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

I forgot to mention this is a great way to spend a day! Enjoy your trip.

Austin
3. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

thanks Norman!

Illinois
reviews: 44
4. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

There is a great linch place restaurant at top of the hill right at the baths. We snorkeled o bout 3 hours then dried off, changed and ate before we caught taxi back to ferry to stj. There were lockers at the baths when we were there 12 yrs. ago. Grams98

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
5. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

You probably already have this information but here's the ferry schedule link:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Boston
reviews: 17
6. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

Here is a map that will show you the entire island:

www.caribbean-on-line.com/bv/vgmap.shtml

Also, I would make arrangements with the taxi driver that takes you to pick you up at a designated time. There may be taxis there but it is not always the case. You can ask him to take you so you can get the ferry or a bit early to have a look around Spanish Town - it is not very big but there are a few shops and restaurants. I would eat at the Top of the Baths and they also have a freshwater pool that you can take a dip in if you eat there.

As far as weather, the ferries will run unless it is really rough, but if the seas are high, it is a pretty uncomfortable trip, particularly if anyone gets sea sick. The weather can be nice and sunny, but the seas still can get rough.

It is a great day trip - or a vacation destination for that matter - enjoy your trip!

Pittsburgh...
7. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

We just did this trip a few weeks ago. Fantastic time, you will love it. Once you get to VG you will have to go thru customs. When you come out of customs they will ask you if you are going to the Baths and if you are they kind of divvy up the people to all the taxis waiting. Our taxi took us to the Baths and once we got there we went to pay him and he said no, just wait til after I pick you up 3:30pm. Ok, so we knew he would be back to get us so he would get paid and it seemed like most of the other taxi drivers did the same thing. We ate at the Top of the Baths but there is another restaurant right next door, I think it is called mad dog or something and it is supposed to be good also. FYI, there are lockers to keep your passports and other stuff in while you are exploring and snorkeling. There is also a snack shop at the bottom of the hill. You have plenty of time to climb the boulders, snorkel devils bay and have a late lunch. It's an awesome day!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 38
8. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

Keep in mind that just because it may be raining on St John, it probably isn't on VG. Weather can be vastly different on each island. The day we went it was raining on St Thomas but dry and hot on VG. You are going about it the right way. The excursions herd you through. By taking the ferry you will have plenty of time to explore the Baths and snorkel Devil's Bay if you want. THe food at the restaurant is pretty good. As others have said, the taxi driver will come back and get you. They know the drill.

Mike in Tulsa

Austin
9. Re: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions

Thanks for all the great tips and reassurances!! Now if we can finish this summer so I can start planning next year's trip!!

Reply to: Ferry to Virgin Gorda and other VG questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted