We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank-You!!

NJ
Thank-You!!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the great information posted here. I was searching for someplace special to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and wanted to surprise my wife - she knew we were going away, but not the location.

I started with Bermuda since that's where we went on our honeymoon. Bermuda is wonderful, but I wanted someplace a "little different". I checked out more places than I can remember on-line, and found this site when checking out St. John's. The more I read, the more I became convinced that Caneel seemed a perfect fit.

I have to confess that I was just a bit uncertain about my choice based on some of the reviews - bugs, service, rooms,etc. My wife is far from being a "princess" but is no longer the camper type either.

All I can say is that from almost the moment we stepped off the ferryd, we were both practically giddy (only two rum punches on the trip over too, I swear!) We've been to many other islands but if there's a place on earth closer to paradise, I want to see it!

We were in room 42 (ocean view) and it was absolutely fine. We actually enjoyed the location, close to breakfast and the bar/restaurant, and getting to the other beaches was an easy walk or ride on the shuttle if we were feeling lazy. The view from the balcony was terrific and the vegetation provided privacy - a great place to chill with a cocktail after a day on the beach.

We had a private dinner in the ruins one night (another surprise that won me some serious cred with my wife), and it was as good as it gets as far as ambiance. We ate in town two nights, Rhumblines and Zo Zo's, both excellent, especially the view and the Osso Boco at Zo Zo's.

What impressed me the most I think is that Caneel puts their resources in exactly the right places to make your stay seem special. There may not be a grand lobby, and the rooms may not look luxurious, but the bedding and the towels, as an example are as fine as you will find in any 5 star hotel. May seem like a small silly things, but it just made us appreciate our vacation all the more.

We found the service outstanding - friendly, responsive, accomodating; what more can you ask??

Not sure I can add any more superlatives to the beaches and the water that haven't already been said, but you do need to see it and feel it to truly appreciate how spectacular they are.

The whole vibe of the place just made you feel like we were truly in Paradise, and from the moment we got a grip on our giddyness, we both knew we'd go back...soon!

So again, thanks to all who post here and helped me decide to go to Caneel.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Thank-You!!

I'm so glad that you had a great vacation.

You will be back!

Next time, get some friends or family together and rent a villa.

NH
reviews: 1
2. Re: Thank-You!!

Glad you had a great time, it is such a special island:)

Kama'aina Wannabe...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Thank-You!!

I know many St. John lovers are villa fans, but the OP's intention was to thank people who recommended Caneel Bay specifically and to say how much he and his wife enjoyed staying at Caneel...so what is the point of saying, next time rent a villa?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Thank-You!!

Was just a suggestion turtle.

Kama'aina Wannabe...
reviews: 18
5. Re: Thank-You!!

Sorry, Connie, I've been regretting my post all afternoon, it was snarky. Was having a long, boring day at work and dreaming of Caneel.

Of course it was natural to suggest a vilaa, cause if your'e going to bring family, it would be hard to stay at Caneel as they only allow 3 to a room and multiple rooms would be pricey (just 1 is)! I'm sure you just want to share your love for STJ. Again, I apologize. Take care.

cvmont, as you can tell I love Caneel Bay, too, and am glad you had such a great trip!

Rocky Top
reviews: 39
6. Re: Thank-You!!

cymont- you confirmed my belief that is paradise on STJ and Caneel, Gallows, and Westin are great choices and I have stayed at them all. Being in the travel business I have found no place I enjoy more. Even the villa's are great.

Thanks

7. Re: Thank-You!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 08, 2010