We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental help please!!!

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midlothian, Texas
Car rental help please!!!

We are staying at the Westin in St. John. Some advice and recommendations would be great. How much is it to take the car barge from St. Thomas to St. John? Is there a car rental place in the airport? We are staying for 2 weeks and are trying to figure out what is best cost wise. I spoke to the Westin and was told that it is 120$ roundtrip for the ferry. But was not informed how much it is for the car barge. I was also informed that a lot of car rentals in St. Thomas do not allow you to go to St. John for liability reasons.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be great!

TIA,

Krystal

7 replies to this topic
north carolina
reviews: 3
1. Re: Car rental help please!!!

Conduct a search on this forum with your questions... All of your questions have been very hot topics.

reviews: 20
2. Re: Car rental help please!!!

Visit St John at least once a year. Seven trips - always rent on STT at the airport either Avis or Budget.

Car barge round trip $50. Never had a problem but after 7 trips we feel comfortable with this routine.

Don't worry - be happy!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
3. Re: Car rental help please!!!

It sounds as though the Westin was quoting you the price of their private passenger ferry. Here's a link to the car barge and passenger ferry rates and times:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

The rental car agencies on St Thomas generally allow their 4WD vehicles to be taken to STJ. Only Hertz specifically disallows it. Amalie, Dependable and Discount all do favorably on reviews and they will meet you at the airport.

If you go onto the St Thomas forum and look top right under frequently asked questions you'll find links to discussions about renting on STT versus STJ. Have fun!

Indian Harbour...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Car rental help please!!!

We are going w/ Discount in STT. This is my 4 th trip. I've done both ( rented on STT and STJ) but my partner works for airlines, and hates van rides. We also want the option of having transportation on the last day and leave STJ early and look around STT before we fly out. Buy the one way car ferry tix. Not all car ferries honor each other, tix, so this gives you the option of just getting the next car ferry out of STJ without waiting for a specific company to leave. It's 30 each way, but worth it to have the freedom . And loading and unloading once! Discount, Dependable, and Amalie are the only ones I would consider on STT. Forget who we used on ST! 10 yrs ago. . But Courtesy and St Johncar rental, Varlack have the best reviews. Varlack was quick to respond to our emails.

Indian Harbour...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Car rental help please!!!

Discount and Amalie pick you up at airport too! Your arrival time matters...Make sure you can make the last car ferry at 7pm,

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 18
6. Re: Car rental help please!!!

I will echo a few others and suggest that you perform a search to get answers to all of your questions.

Car Rental is the number #1 discussed topic and you can find more than enough info through a search.

Just be sure to filter your results by date and not relevance.

Enjoy your trip

Irmo, South Carolina
7. Re: Car rental help please!!!

Amalie is WONDERFUL! You want be sorry. They really help you not miss a beat of vacation time . They pickup at airport, sign papers on your way. They meet you at airport to hand off keys to say " see ya next yr". Its a easy as it gets! Super new jeeps, low miles, person on st. John if there is an issue.

Reply to: Car rental help please!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted