We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about the Jost Ferry

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 1
Confused about the Jost Ferry

Last year I was really put off by the STJ-Jost ferry because we had to make a stop in Tortola which ate up almost an hour of the day. Currently I am looking at the Jost ferry schedule and it doesnt mention a stop in Tortola. Is this new this year? Was the stop in Tortola last year a one off mysterious occuence?

So confused. Get me to the beach asap

7 replies to this topic
Cruz Bay, St. John
1. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

The ferry stops in Tortola for customs entry into the BVI if the customs office is not open on Jost. When we took the ferry last year, even the employee who was on board didn't know if we were heading straight to Jost or had to stop in Tortola first until the boat turned towards Jost. I would recommend renting a boat or taking Dolphin Taxi over to elongate your time on Jost.

St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
2. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

You never know until you are on the ferry - hit or miss

Pia

Boston...
3. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

Thanks for clearing this up guys. I get so ancy to get over to Jost that the Tortola stop is a killer

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 14
4. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

If the Jost immigration should be closed down (which is really an anomaly) then taking Dolphin (or any charter for that matter) to avoid that wouldn't work as all operators from the USVI have to clear into the BVI so would have the same problem.

Boston...
5. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

Speaking to my wife she says they stopped in Tortola to drop passengers off last year.

San Antonio, Texas
6. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

We also stopped in Tortola for the Immigration and Passenger Drop-Off...wasn't too long, however, our problem was getting back...the time was not accurate...and the guy at the office wasn't sure when/if the boat was coming either...it finally showed up and hour or so late...we took a nap in a hammock...this year we are doing the Jost Day Trip with Cruz Bay...we know they'll be coming back...

Edited: 9:17 pm, October 07, 2013
California
reviews: 24
7. Re: Confused about the Jost Ferry

It depends on the day of the week. When we took the ferry in June it was a non stop to JVD from STJ and immigration was at the ferry building in Jost. All very easy.

Reply to: Confused about the Jost Ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted