We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Thomas or St. John

Which Cruz Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 2
St. Thomas or St. John

Hi, I have only 3 nights in USVI and am not sure where to stay. I'll be traveling alone and won't be renting a car. My main interest is a hotel/resort with a beautiful beach and snorkeling. Would you recommend staying in St. Thomas near the ferry and taking day trips to St. John, or staying in St. John? I was also considering Tortola but not sure if that is too far away from the STT airport. Thanks.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 80
1. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

If you have only 3 nights, you'll spend too much time going to Tortola from STT and won't have beach time. The Ritz beaches on St. Thomas are lovely and the snorkeling is pretty good. If affordable, it's a beautiful and relaxing place.

Caneel Bay and the Westin are on the beach on St. John. Caneel is, by far, the prettiest with 7 gorgeous beaches to choose from and good snorkeling off the beach. If you don't mind driving or taking a taxi to the beach, Estate Lindholm on St. John is nice with lovely views and only a few minutes drive from St. John's prettiest beaches.

Another option is staying in town --Charlotte Amalie (check out At Home in the Tropics B&B) and taking the ferry to St. John's beaches or taxi to beaches on St. Thomas.

It all depends on your priorities and budget.

Peoria, IL
reviews: 10
2. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

If your budget allows, Caneel!

3. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

St. Thomas and St. John feel totally different to me... I absolutely love St. John and the vibe there, but hated St. Thomas and couldn't wait to leave. If you have 3 days to enjoy nice beaches and snorkeling in the USVI, I say St. John all the way. If you can swing Caneel, do it - they will take care of getting you (and your luggage) from the airport to the resort via their private ferry. The beaches there are beautiful, clean & the water is calm... great for swimming & kayaking, but there are also beaches known for snorkeling (my daughter & I saw sea turtles and rays easily just off of Hawksnest beach, and we were the only people there despite the resort being at capacity).

NY metro
reviews: 3
4. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

Staying on in one of the St Thomas East End hotels gives you Sapphire Bay and easy access to the Red Hook Ferry.

Kind of the best of both worlds.

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
5. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

Thanks! I will definitely stay on St. John and will try for Caneel Bay. It sounds wonderful.

Chapin
6. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

You will not regret your decision. You will never want to leave. ! :) Have a fabulous time

7. Re: St. Thomas or St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cruz Bay